Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New community forum feedback

FIXED
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New community forum feedback

Townman I thought, had a solution for that, let me see if I can find it.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Applying some of the recommended changes here helped a little but on a desktop still the amount of white space and scrolling is hideous.

Picking up on another comment I too remember these kind of 'changes' being applied to some of the other sites I visit. Does the world only now view the internet on an i-Pad? Roll_eyes

Kevin
Rising Star

Well woodm, I prefer the old forum look on my Ipad. Maybe I'm strange......

Kevin.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

I guess that's a double fail then Smiley

PlusnetLiam
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @southerner

Not all the World but a decent proportion & it's growing day in, day out.

We certainly don't want sacrifice desktop users for mobile but more offer a great design on all devices. Think we've some work to do still on bigger screens and we'll certainly get on to that.
Kevin
Rising Star

Well, I'm now viewing the forum on my Ipad and all I can say is......       (well I can't because of the swear filter).

I'm scrolling more on this than the desktop, how can that be "mobile friendly"?

Yes, I will eventually get used to it, but I sure as heck don't like it!!!!!!!!

Kevin.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Anotherone wrote:

Townman I thought, had a solution for that, let me see if I can find it.

Hi elsewhere I created a macro to set the colour and font to ones of my choosing to address the concerns now being raised here, which we were advised could not be changed because of a compulsion to comply with the corporate sales branding / style.

The issues we raised covered font style, font colour, background colour and use of space.  Many improvements were delivered, this grey is darker than it was, space utilisation has been markedly improved, but there's always room for refinement. Wink

Here's the macro...

<div style="color: #404040;font-family:Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Courrier"><p>Type over this</p></div>

Changing the font face helps distinguish between capital I and lowercase l.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Why is this marked as "Fixed" when it clearly isn't

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

No doubt others have said the same, but here's my opinion, and it's not good. I'm using a desktop by the way.

Firstly, far too much white space and excessive scrolling. We NEED a "condensed" option to preserve sanity.

Secondly, when there's more than one page of results the only option seems to be "next" with no indication of how many results (or pages of them) there are.

Thirdly, things I used to do regularly and easily are now less accessible.

Fourth, I can't seem to get Preview to work.

That's just my starting points, there will no doubt be many more once I've found how to use it effectively, it's certainly different!

Finally, to summarise, based on the fact that I inhabit a LOT of different forums which use different underlying software but nonetheless tend to operate "similarly", rewording a couple of well-known sci-fi style quotes:

"It's a forum Jim, but not as we know it"

"It's almost, but not quite totally unlike a forum"

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

And what looks like a bug:

When I try to edit a post (by clicking on the "Post options" drop-down) it scrolls to top of page. Angry

I then have to scroll down to find the drop-down menu and click on Edit. At least it stays there if I use the mouse wheel to do that.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Ans why is it so SLOW? It is taking ages to change pages.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It wasn't but it just ground to a halt while I was posting - on the beta forums this usually happened when a background update was being done

mtrinder
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey everyone,

In response to the text colour of post text, we've changed this to a darker shade. It's not black, but it is an AAA compliant colour - so hopefully we've found a balance between legibility and corporate colours.

Feedback welcome.

text-colour.png

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Much improved - thanks

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

At the risk of 'being shot down' by others I actually liked the 'less harsh' lighter colour.  I'm not going to suggest changing back just because I like it since consensus seems to be very much against my preference. Lips_are_sealed

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.