cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New, but been here nigh on 15 years

FIXED
Paulg

New, but been here nigh on 15 years

Well this new forum is a bit of a carry on, unable to log on using my old user name, no emails sent after requesting user name/password reminder, in the end had to register as a new member.

PN certainly know how not to make their customers feel welcome on their community site 

22 REPLIES 22
Bexhill35

Re: New, but been here nigh on 15 years

Hi there,

To me it worked like a charm...

Maybe the email went to spam?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Welcome Paul.

There has been some email problems, maybe @HarryB can sort it out for Paulg.

sandrataylor51
Grafter

It does seem strange that we are not automatically registered with our original username and password.

Anotherone
Champion

If you got the email address wrong, that's what generally seems to foul things up, unless you didn't receive the password reset email. Welcome back anyway, I'm sure it'll be fixed for you.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

Hi @Paulg could you PM me your original username and the email address you've been trying to send a password reset to. I'll have a look in to that for you.

@sandrataylor51 We did migrate original usernames over (Not display names) I've seen a few people struggling to reset passwords, but not everyone has been trying to reset on the email address connected to their original forum account Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ok, got it sorted (I'm the originator of this post, was Paulg) thanks to @HarryB . The problem arises because I use a gmail account, when I first registered in these forums it was known as googlemail. Although mail addressed to googlemail gets sent to the equivalent gmail  address the forum system seems to treat the two addresses as different.

Anyway all sorted now Grin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone wrote:

If you got the email address wrong, that's what generally seems to foul things up, unless you didn't receive the password reset email. Welcome back anyway, I'm sure it'll be fixed for you.

It's the non-receipt of the verification emails that's the real problem Sad

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Although that is the real problem. The fact is most of the accounts I've seen that people are struggling to reset the password on, is caused by not entering the email address as it is on the account Undecided

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@HarryB wrote:

most of the accounts I've seen that people are struggling to reset the password on, is caused by not entering the email address as it is on the account 

That may be correct, it was most likely my issue, combined with a bug that means the forum SAYS it has sent an email when it should actually say the email address isn't recognised.

And you aren't helping yourselves either, when you so easily could, for example:

Yesterday I received an email "Your new Community is live!" which was sent to my forum-registered email.

I have multiple email addresses and they come into a common inbox so which account they come from isn't obvious or even usually relevant.

That email mentions resetting your password but doesn't (and really should) also say that the reset process is by email and will need you to use the already-registered email address i.e. the one to which the message had been sent.

merlin
Dabbler

Same issue for me, also tried to upload an avatar image for new logon but although it appears to upload no images present in albumn

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HarryB wrote:

Although that is the real problem. The fact is most of the accounts I've seen that people are struggling to reset the password on, is caused by not entering the email address as it is on the account Undecided

Yes but that doesn't explain the problem with setting up new accounts.

Oh, forgot something .....

It doesn't explain the problem with changing the account username either.

Anotherone
Champion

@Anonymous @merlin are you still having a problem or are you OK now.

@HPsauce when you went to enter the email address, did you not see a message that contains something along the lines of

...your password will be reset for security reasons and an automated email will be sent to you with instructions. You may use the same password after resetting your password if you wish.

In testing IIRC if an "invalid email address" was entered it said it couldn't find you on the system.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@HPsauce wrote:

I have multiple email addresses and they come into a common inbox so which account they come from isn't obvious ....SNIP.

I too have multiple Email services and within those a number of addresses.  I think you'll find that most Mail packages have the option to display additional columns of info.  I set AccountNAME and Size as extra columns in my Inbox to help me process mail.  HTH

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Anotherone wrote:

@HPsauce when you went to enter the email address, did you not see a message that contains something along the lines of

...your password will be reset for security reasons and an automated email will be sent to you with instructions. You may use the same password after resetting your password if you wish.

In testing IIRC if an "invalid email address" was entered it said it couldn't find you on the system.

I entered a valid email address, but it wasn't the one associated with this forum. I got a confirmation similar to that you mention but nothing arrived. it absolutely DEFINITELY DID NOT say it couldn't find me.

Eventually I guessed and entered the email address (not a PlusNet one) that I had associated with the forum and entered it. Same message but a reset email DID arrive soon after.

@MauriceC, I'm happy with my email setup (it's deliberately that way and there are many options) and have no need to reconfigure it, I was merely explaining. Cool