Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet forum and it's not IPv6 !

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Plusnet forum and it's not IPv6 !

Seriously Crazy2

A brand new forum, and it's not being hosted on a dual-stacked (IPv4+IPv6) platform !

I thought this forum was going to be looking to the future, not a great start.

9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: New Plusnet forum and it's not IPv6 !

The fact that it's not currently accessible over IPv6 has practically zero bearing on on how it functions Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

Given that connecting to a website by IPv4 has about a third MORE latency (delay) than accessing the same site using IPv6,  perhaps you could persuade Lithium to dual stack (IPv4+IPv6) to see whether the reduced IPv6 latency helps relieve the dreadful responsiveness of their HTTPS handshakes ?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Whilst I support the proposal that Plusnet should by now have more concrete plans to convert their IPv6 'trial' into being part of the product set, I'm not convinced that it is relevant in this thread? 

Could I suggest that you raise the need to support  IPv6 in the 'IPv6 Trial'  Forum where it can be more fully discussed?Angel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What are you on about ?, what I'm suggesting has nothing to do with the Plusnet's native IPv6 connectivity trial !.

I have had IPv6 working for many years, I couldn't care less about Plusnet's ill fated IPv6 trial, and I am fully expecting that even when Plusnet eventually succumb to the inevitable and finally provide native IPv6, that I am very likely to stick with my existing IPv6 provider for performance reasons.

What the purpose of this topic is, is to firstly to point out the fact that in this day and age most new websites are accessible by both IPv4 and IPv6, but for some inexplicable reason our new Lithium forum is inaccessible by IPv6.  And secondly, I'm asking for this forum to be moved to a dual-stacked (IPv4+IPv6) web-server, not only for connectivity reasons, but also because this forum has latency issues which might be alleviated by using IPv6 because from my observations accessing the same website by using IPv4 is a third slower latency than the same access using IPv6 - and therefore might help my issue with this forums pages loading so slowly.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As an aside

I tried loading the Forum from scratch with nothing cached and this was the result - doesn't seem too bad

2016-06-06_092350.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oldjim, are you still on 20CN ADSL ?, or more importantly high latency ?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

FTTC and low latency

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I queried IPv6 with Lithium a while back. IIRC, it was planned but with no firm delivery dates.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for asking Lithium about putting this forum on IPv6  Cool

Knowing that it is being "planned" is a better answer than NO,

so there is still hope Wink

It finally looks like native IPv6 is really taking off now in the UK,

At the beginning of April 2016, IPv6 was 3.1% of Google's UK traffic -

https://community.plus.net/t5/IPv6-Trial/IPv6-tunnel-Ending-Hurry-up-PlusNet/m-p/1312115#M2865

A week ago at the end of May 2016 it broke through 10% -

https://community.plus.net/t5/IPv6-Trial/31st-May-2016-Google-says-UK-IPv6-adoption-exceeds-10/m-p/1...

and in just the last week has gained another 2% -

Google IPv6 6-June-2016.jpg