Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My signature

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My signature

I'm getting PMs saying there are complaints re my signature.  What's wrong I have changed it but it's all messed up now as I did on my iPhone.
Would appreciate if you let me know whats wrong
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
15 REPLIES 15
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: My signature

I think yours was the signature that originally didn't have the image scaled to a maximum height of 100 pixels.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently got instructed by the moderators to reduce the size of my signature, mainly because it had become too wide.   Sad

The forum rule http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_avatar, states -
Signatures should use no more space than 5 lines of standard sized text would, this includes any blank lines and images you choose to use. Image based signatures should be limited to 100 x 560 pixels

Currently your signature is about 741x97 pixels,  so is nearly 200 pixels too wide (about the same as mine was)  Embarrassed
After spending a lot of time rescaling my signature images and moving text around, mine is now within a few pixels of 560x100.
If you can alter your signature overall width and height to be the same or less than mine, then it will be about right. !   Roll_eyes
I hope that helps !   Wink

Personally I think the signatures should be expanded to 750x120 pixels, and would like to see the number of characters available for BBCode scripting raised (from 600) to perhaps 2000 to make the coding of clickable images and hyperlinks (like mine) easier.
Unfortunately a some of the BBCode character allowance is currently wasted by the inefficient image scaling implementation used by this forum, as I documented here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116560.0.html.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The reason for the width limit is that when the signature is wider than that specified it causes the appearance of a side scroll band at the bottom of the post due to the minimum defined widths when viewing in a narrow window
I show below a screen shot showing the effect (I made a temporary change to my sig)
In the case of the OP the way it is formatted means that it doesn't exhibit this effect as the text wraps as the window is narrowed and as such it breaks the letter but not the intent of the Forum Rule.
To change the sig so it doesn't break the letter of the rule is to change the text to the following
I have BT Total Broadband option 2 and Eve and Weekend calls
I use a BT HomeHub 4 Type A and I have 2 MacBooks and a Mac Mini.
I got my BT service on 10th September      
My speed result which is being upgraded to infinity opt 1 unlimited
via CAT6E ethernet

Edit - the new sig is even worse as it breaks the depth rule as well
shalom2010
Grafter

I think mine is okay?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
The reason for the width limit is that when the signature is wider than that specified it causes the appearance of a side scroll band at the bottom of the post due to the minimum defined widths when viewing in a narrow window
I show below a screen shot showing the effect (I made a temporary change to my sig)
In the case of the OP the way it is formatted means that it doesn't exhibit this effect as the text wraps as the window is narrowed and as such it breaks the letter but not the intent of the Forum Rule.
To change the sig so it doesn't break the letter of the rule is to change the text to the following
I have BT Total Broadband option 2 and Eve and Weekend calls
I use a BT HomeHub 4 Type A and I have 2 MacBooks and a Mac Mini.
I got my BT service on 10th September      
My speed result which is being upgraded to infinity opt 1 unlimited
via CAT6E ethernet

Edit - the new sig is even worse as it breaks the depth rule as well

Well if it so bad why don't you  change it!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Done as requested
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Whats changed?
EDIT:  I see the speedtest.net result has moved to the upper right
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The patience of the moderators on these forums never ceases to amaze me. I can think of forums where the moderators wouldn't have fixed the signature for you they'd have just deleted it entirely!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'NorthEasterner' - That signature looks much better now ! - Great job,  LOL !   Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Except it is now too deep - I suggest that you try again  Shocked
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@OldJim Moved 'Signature made by Purleigh'
Is that better?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yup - just right  Grin Grin
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

SCORE FINALLY  Cheesy Wink Grin Crazy
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'NorthEasterner' - Watch out with those multiple 'emoticons'    Sad
as 'Oldjim' might enforce this forum rule - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_emoticons  Crazy
[quote=Forum Rules]
Too many emoticons

Some people get over-enthusiastic with emoticons. There should be no need for more than two or three emoticons together in a post.
Roll_eyes
You could brighten your new signature with an 'emoticons' at the start of each line ?  Wink