Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to a more appropriate board

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Moved to a more appropriate board

Would it not be a useful thing to supply a link to the board on which the thread now lives? Other forums manage to do that, so why not this one?

It's a hassle trying to trace moved threads.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
11 REPLIES 11
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Moved to a more appropriate board

Hi Luzern,
When mods move posts to new boards, they choose to leave a placeholder with a bit of custom text. Now... the placeholder that you mostly see consists of two parts; one part is automatic, the other is entered in manually. See the below example:

Moved: <link to new post/thread location>
Moved to <board name>

The first line of the placeholder is generated by the system. The second part 'Moved to <boardname>' is part of the custom text portion of the form which is a manual process.

What I am saying is the part you are referring to is the manual portion of the move posts functionality.. so we would need to ask the mods if this is something they would like to consider as it adds another step to the process.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@jaread83 Surely a good platform will be helpful to its users, so IMO another flaw in Lithium surfaces. It's unfortunate that the mods may need undertake more work, and they have my sympathy. However, helping pax navigate should take precedence over policing of minor infringements of rules sometimes.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Personally I've always hated placeholders for moved posts, and view them as unnecessary clutter.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is there a reason you would click a link to a board when it is the moved post you would be primarily interested in?

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The only problem I found when I was replying to a post a few weeks ago, it got moved whilst I was typing and when I clicked Post I got a message saying something like "This post is no longer available" and I lost what I typed.

My fault I know, I could have quite easily have typed it into MS Word, spell checked it from there and copied and pasted to here once that's done to avoid losing what I typed.

I don't know how feasible this is (only a minor niggle, honest!) rather than getting that error it would be nice if has been moved to a public board, to just post it to the new location (I'm assuming staff/mods/Superusers have their own boards only visible to them).

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The problem with that is that the page currently has no clue as to what the state of the thread is while you are composing a reply. There could be more new replies or the message got removed/moved elsewhere. There are some ideas and talks floating around the Lithium developer network about adding in ajax to the reply pages so it can detect changes every few seconds and provide some feedback - Once I get my hands on the code I will definitely be trying it out here (or at least on the staging site to test and experiment).

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks @jaread83

It's not really a huge problem to be honest, but more one of those small "Nice to haves".

I didn't think it would be simple to implement. I'm sure there are bigger problems which more people are experiencing that take priority - the world of software development Grin

Mav
Fixes: 515

@jaread83 I think @Luzern is referring to posts such as this:

Capture.JPG

I, and I think one other mod, started doing this recently in the thread once it has been moved. For me it makes it easy to let the other mods know when a post has already been moved as there is no other indicator that it has been.

The thread's original board would have a placeholder similar to below:

Capture1.JPG

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@mods. Just provide a link you are moving the post to.  It will be helpful to other users.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@chandu

A link is left in the original board the thread was posted in as mentioned in my previous post.

Edit: The wording in the moved thread was changed a while ago to make it clearer : This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Mav,  Many thanks for your response.

Still not very happy with one has to track the original post.

Many regards.