Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move the quick/useful links to the top

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Move the quick/useful links to the top

Having to scroll to the bottom to get the links is counter productive.

9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Move the quick/useful links to the top

If you click your username just above hte 'Browse' link (top right) there should be most of the links there too.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kevin
Rising Star

But Chris, if you are in the middle of a long thread, you still have to go to the top to get to your username and then click twice there. If you move the links to the top, as they were, it will be simpler!

Kevin.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

We will need to think of placement as this bar would look strange next to the other similarly styles buttons on the homepage. Might need to include it on every page except the homepage to avoid a clash, will need some thought. There is a good reason why it only appears at the bottom though.. It's more of an exit route than anything else.

I originally put the bar at the bottom as an alternative to the user menu by request when user testing and users were getting frustrated with scrolling back to the top to access common pages. The menu bar acts more as an exit from the bottom of pages by giving you some of the most common pages that are useful. I personally use the bottom bar a lot but prefer the full user menu.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anotherone
Champion

Argh, not at the top ever please please, that'll be more scrolling on a mobile. The fly-out menu is there, I would have thought that quite sufficient once people realise it's there Wink

But as a significant point, there is no mention of it in the FAQ that I could see, is it mentioned somewhere else @Chris? Of course it is, in the Welcome at login Wink

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

We spent a lot of time discussing this with the development team.  It was initially implemented as an alternative to having to scroll back to the top of the page, to then have to double click - avatar and fly out option - to navigate back to unread topics.

We also got the forum breadcrumbs added to the bottom of page too.  Being at the bottom is the most logical place for where next links.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

If it is "most logical place" then why does EVERY other forum have it at the top?
A lot of forums have a "back to top" button to get to the top of the page, I think that would be useful for mobile users.
Personally I just press back to go back to the previous page of links. But when you are on the landing page it isn't obvious where it is.
Anotherone
Champion

HairyMcbiker wrote:
If it is "most logical place" then why does EVERY other forum have it at the top?

They are at the top on the slide-out menu, have you not discovered that yet?

The point of putting those at the bottom was to save having to scroll to the top, especially with a mobile device.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I use the bottom links all the time and as others have said it's the most logical place to have them.

I'm glad they were put there.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yes I "discovered" them, I asked in this topic!
But they are NOT obvious, hidden under a user icon, where normally you only go for control panel.

Having been a board user since dial up days this is just confusing for me.
Same with the mark all read, again hidden in a sub menu, these are the MOST used (navigation) buttons surely.