Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mismatch between 'latest post' on home page and in specific topic

FIXED
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Mismatch between 'latest post' on home page and in specific topic

Is it just me or is there a general problem that the 'latest post' listed on the Forum home page for a thread is very slow to update. For example, on the home page the latest post for Fibre Broadband is currently showing (here) as "Recommend a new router....<etc.>" but actually the latest post in the thread itself is "Degraded performance". Re-loading the home page doesn't seem to help. In Firefox.

8 REPLIES 8
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Mismatch between 'latest post' on home page and in specific topic

They are matching for me at the moment. It might just have been a slow update on that occasion or a passing gremlin Lips_are_sealed

BrightonRock
Pro

I'm sure that you are correct that it is a gremlin, but it is still happening regularly.

Currently (for me) the last post on the home page for Fibre Broadband is showing as "Why would FTTC be slower..etc." which (as I write) is 2 hours old with 5 more recent posts in the thread itself. It is  not, of course, just that thread which I was using as an example.

I think that the question is how frequently the home page should refresh.

Anotherone
Champion

Ah, I wonder whether you may be looking at the wrong thing Wink The thread was started over 2 hours ago but the latest post was 7.46PM and I'm getting the same on the Home page. How have you got your time settings set.

If I'm possibly not looking at exactly the same as you, I'm looking at the Latest Post module on the RHS of the Homepage and this board list

BrightonRock
Pro

Thanks, let it drop. I was looking at the boards without logging in so the time settings would be the default. It is OK at the moment - and, anyhow, there are more important things to worry about - but I'll try and post screen shots if I see the issue again. That will also settle whether we are looking at the same thing; I wasn't looking at the module on the RHS of the screen but the main display both on the home page and after clicking on the topic title to go one level down. But, as I said, let it drop.

BrightonRock
Pro

This shows the issue - assuming my files will load - the two shots were taken a few seconds apart. The shot of the home page shows the wrong 'latest post' for Fibre Broadband which is shown in the second image.

In the scheme of things this doesn't really matter. If it is a problem with the Forum, rather than the configuration of my Firefox, I suspect that there is a refresh function in the Forum software that needs to be run more often.

Anotherone
Champion

Fix

Ah, I expect this is because of a confusion between latest topics and latest posts.

The Forum listing is showing the latest Topic which isn't necessarily the one with the latest post. Whereas the Board listing is listing topics with the latest post in them first (below the pinned ones).

If you go to the Home Page Settings you'll see that you have only the "Show the Latest Topics component" checked.

My_Settings_Homepage_Plusnet_Community_-_2016-04-12_17.10.18.png

If you check the "Show the Latest Posts component" then your Forum page will look like this

Forum_Plusnet_Community_-_2016-04-12_17.14.27.png

You can now see the relationship between that listing and the board listing. HTH.

BrightonRock
Pro

That did it.Thank you.

Just a thought: This is a difference from the way that the old forum was set up. Would there be any support for changing the system default so that people see last post as well as, or instead of, last topic so that people - such as me - who normally browse without logging in see a display that is more familiar?

Anotherone
Champion

It's something worth thinking about, but in any event, all this sort of information should be in the Help/FAQ (which I have already remarked on).