cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MODIFY Post not available Sunday 17th November 2013 early. New posts OK ?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: MODIFY Post not available Sunday 17th November 2013 early. New posts OK ?

agreed but I doubt that it can be done - however a PM would have the same effect or just report the next post in the thread
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Oldjim

On a general point the reason why the change wasn't notified was that we wanted to see what effect it would have when posters weren't aware of it.

So a Forum Policy change was implemented, unilaterally, without consultation, confirmation nor announcement to us ?

@ James ?
James
Grafter

I have no authority over our social media policy.
Have a chat with Chris or Kelly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did PM Kelly 20 minutes after posting the Thread to query the "problem"
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@PlusComUK
While going through my unread posts just now I found this post of yours:
Quote from: PlusComUK
Actually 1.1ºC where I am, at 7am.
A bit colder, -0.6ºC through last night.

Near Buxton.
Got the Winter coats out, ready.
« Last Edit: Fri 15-11-2013, 11:31:14 by PlusComUK »

I really do struggle to see why that post needed to be edited over a month after the original post, and I'm completely at a loss to know whether "last night" means 11th Oct, 12th Oct or 14th November! It potentially makes a monkey of some of the responses.
I've no way of knowing if this was the trigger for the changed rule (or just a contributing factor), but having seen it I'd fully support the mods decision to make the change.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@7up
The thread you referred to by PlusComUK http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117342.0.html had posts by the OP at 11:50 - the opening post -  with replies at 12:11, 15:05 and 18:15 non of which could not have been made as edits in the 10 hour edit window

I see what you're saying however it's not like PCUK was trying to offend anyone is it? He was simply conducting an experiement and updating us in semi-real time.
IMO, there has been some very bad attitudes towards PCUK from several members here. There is no need for it is there?. What I am seeing though is a lot of people seem to think they can vent their frustrations on PCUK even though he has nothing to do with their personal lives.
Also if you insist on imposing these rules on everyone then they need to be made more visible such as a sticky in EVERY forum. Not just one and you expect people to go hunting for it. I looked for the forum rules thread a week or two back and didn't know where to start. I found it eventually but it wasn't exactly where I would normally look. The main forums I visit are Chit Chat, Hardware and Windows Software. I've seen nothing pointing to any forum rules in any of those. You know me, I say what other people won't and if I didn't see any rules there are bound to be others who haven't.
On a general point the reason why the change wasn't notified was that we wanted to see what effect it would have when posters weren't aware of it.

Well it HAS had an effect - one that clearly has stretched 3 pages with various members (including me) having issues with it.
The fact is that if a post is edited after some time it can make the subsequent posts meaningless.

Does it matter though? Nobody has (afaik) even made it clear that PN was trying to keep an archive of historical posts. Is there some sort of law saying that everything must be preserved on a forum?
@Jelv I've often edited posts weeks or months after posting to correct spelling mistakes.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: 7up

Well it HAS had an effect - one that clearly has stretched 3 pages with various members (including me) having issues with it.

7 members, discounting staff and mods from what I can see which isn't that many tbh.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran

But it is > 0.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yet it's ok for artmo to bump his own posts (as pointed out by M_Steve) ?
Yes I did point that out In case your question marked was seeking an answer. I like to think the members on this forum are treated equally and fairly and that usually Is the case.
PS make that 8
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

or 0.02% of registered members..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran

As I said, > 0.
You made the change, the members have noticed.
Others will have noticed too, they just won't of found this thread yet or they can't be bothered etc.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Or just over 20% of the people currently logged on

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
Yet it's ok for artmo to bump his own posts (as pointed out by M_Steve) ?
Yes I did point that out In case your question marked was seeking an answer.

Actually I was questioning why artmo is allowed to bump but others are sinners for it!
Quote from: M
I like to think the members on this forum are treated equally and fairly and that usually Is the case.

Yes I agree.. if you're in the 'approved' group. If you're not, you take your chances. The mods seem a bit inconsistent with the way they enforce the rules.
Quote from: pjmarsh
Or just over 20% of the people currently logged on

Well said.
EDIT: Broken quotes fixed (and considering I don't use this forum very often, it could have been days before I noticed the quote was broken).
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You should have asked us before making that kind of change to the forum, as you know I am Dyslexic! and I make a lot of spelling mistakes, and I get a lot of grammar mistakes to, some times I will spot it straight away, other times it may be some time!
So please put the modify back the way it was.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Having just checked back over a number of your posts I haven't found any where the edit would have been stopped by this rule - lets have a few references