cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MODIFY Post not available Sunday 17th November 2013 early. New posts OK ?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: MODIFY Post not available Sunday 17th November 2013 early. New posts OK ?

Quote from: PlusComUK
I would totally agree with that.
However...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117342.msg1014848.html#msg1014848
Of course, open to personal interpretation.

Another example:
Should we report these posts? http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.msg1033706.html#msg1033706 and http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.msg648966.html#msg648966
The posters could just as easily edited the previous post to add the new information and it's not in Chit Chat so the stricter rule should apply! Cheesy
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: dvorak
a few of those would have been available to edit within the 10 hour window, also in that case there were no replies and you seemed to be talking to yourself.

Would you really have read a post that was 6 Screen pages long, with similar but updated info ?
How would you, or anyone else for that matter, know that the thread had been updated ?
Quote from: pjmarsh
dvorak, from the number of views on that topic and the comments in the thread complaining that that one had been locked, there was a lot of interest in that thread, it is just that people chose to follow PlusComUKs progress rather than post on it.

Exactly my thoughts.
900+ is a number that springs to mind !!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

i viewed that thread for every post that was made, though i had no interest in it.
each view ups the count, you can't rely on a view count as a measure of interest.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

100 views per post !
PS: I'm not getting at you personally.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If we are supposed to edit the previous post when we are adding a substantial amount of new information (and not just making small additions or corrections) please could you tell me where the "Mark post unread for all users" button is located? Without that people are very likely not to see the additional information.
Anonymous
Not applicable

And yet other(s) appear to abuse the system with constant minimal information bumps, commented on by others elsewhere.
Most noticeable in other threads that few appear to have an interest in the Subject matter.
With low viewing figures, compared to 900+
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Over 900 views for 9 posts is still a lot more than many other threads get that have more posts than that.  To look at Chit Chat right at the moment:

SubjectRepliesViews
Bad Weather On The Way40483
The law doesn't discriminate. Does it? 554
Snow and minus ºC temperatures now...18587
30 years of Windows26294
Penalty Point!!39849
How low can they sink ?14320

The last 2 are from the same page in the topic lists as that of PlusComUK's, so have been around for the same amount of time.  So it still got a lot more interest than the standard topics in Chit Chat.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And that thread was locked at my request, just think what the viewing figures, and responses would have been if it had still been unlocked, since being locked on the 15 August 2013!
Three months ago...
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

There is no problem with the forums, a 10 hour window to modify posts exists.

No thats not right. Just earlier this year I modified a post of mine from 2007 which had personal info in it (why I posted that is beyond me). I modified that out to get shot of it.
This 10 hour window thing.. who dreamt that up then?
Seems to me that there is some 'fixing' going on around here.
PCUK is known for updating his topics and then stands accused of bumping. So he starts modifying his posts. Now you've stopped that being possible? Whats PCUK supposed to do now then? - Reply to his own topics and stand accused of bumping? You're stitching him up.
Yet it's ok for artmo to bump his own posts (as pointed out by M_Steve) ? Not that i have a problem with artmo bumping his own posts but then I do feel it's unfair for those same people to then give others a hard time for it.
Rules around here are being bent in favor of some members and strictly enforced upon others. I reported a user for calling me a bell end in one post and the mod team chose to ignore it rather than delete it but I've had many of my posts black holed.
If this is going to be the way it operates thats fine but we need to know where we stand and have a list of 'approved' and 'non approved' members so that we all know what we're allowed to do around here.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just checked some of my previous posts, and I noticed there is no modify option there either.
There has obviously been a recent permission change on these forums.
Nice that we're all informed at least.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: 7up
There is no problem with the forums, a 10 hour window to modify posts exists.

No thats not right. Just earlier this year I modified a post of mine from 2007 which had personal info in it (why I posted that is beyond me). I modified that out to get shot of it.
This 10 hour window thing.. who dreamt that up then?
Seems to me that there is some 'fixing' going on around here.
PCUK is known for updating his topics and then stands accused of bumping. So he starts modifying his posts. Now you've stopped that being possible? Whats PCUK supposed to do now then? - Reply to his own topics and stand accused of bumping? You're stitching him up.

Yet it's ok for artmo to bump his own posts (as pointed out by M_Steve) ?
Not that i have a problem with artmo bumping his own posts but then I do feel it's unfair for those same people to then give others a hard time for it.
Rules around here are being bent in favor of some members and strictly enforced upon others. I reported a user for calling me a bell end in one post and the mod team chose to ignore it rather than delete it but I've had many of my posts black holed.
If this is going to be the way it operates thats fine but we need to know where we stand and have a list of 'approved' and 'non approved' members so that we all know what we're allowed to do around here.

A search found this...... (amongst others)
Tennis at the O2
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,119746.0.html
Other than my working at Wimbledon every year, and providing staff and facilities for Broadcasters, it not a topic I would have been interested in nor viewed.
But he does seem rather eager to point out any alleged bumping by others !
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@7up
The thread you referred to by PlusComUK http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117342.0.html had posts by the OP at 11:50 - the opening post -  with replies at 12:11, 15:05 and 18:15 non of which could not have been made as edits in the 10 hour edit window
On a general point the reason why the change wasn't notified was that we wanted to see what effect it would have when posters weren't aware of it.
The fact is that if a post is edited after some time it can make the subsequent posts meaningless.
Whether 10 hours is a reasonable - note that on TBB it is 12 hours - is a different question
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've seen threads ruined on here in the past where people have edited out all their historical posts.
On the other hand, if I've read a post I made say yesterday and realise it sounds like rubbish (not uncommon for me), the ability to edit is useful.
I think we should have been notified, as there has been some confusion regarding the change (hence this thread).
Also, it's a shame the actions of a minority have to affect the forums for everyone else via harsher restrictions.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Oldjim
@7up
The thread you referred to by PlusComUK http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117342.0.html had posts by the OP at 11:50 - the opening post -  with replies at 12:11, 15:05 and 18:15 non of which could not have been made as edits in the 10 hour edit window

Quote from: jelv
If we are supposed to edit the previous post when we are adding a substantial amount of new information (and not just making small additions or corrections) please could you tell me where the "Mark post unread for all users" button is located? Without that people are very likely not to see the additional information.

Which brings us back to an earlier point...
Would you really have read a post that was 6 Screen pages long, with similar but updated info ?

How would you, or anyone else for that matter, know that the thread had been updated ?

At the moment, the simple solution seems to be.... update threads after a 10 hour gap !

Quote from: Oldjim
On a general point the reason why the change wasn't notified was that we wanted to see what effect it would have when posters weren't aware of it.
The fact is that if a post is edited after some time it can make the subsequent posts meaningless.
Whether 10 hours is a reasonable - note that on TBB it is 12 hours - is a different question

So, did I find the change just a few hours after it was introduced, rendering the intention to see any effect, meaningless ?
Tried to modify a previous post ( from Friday ) to add a photo, there is no MODIFY Option, only Quote...

Reason to amend earlier posts...
Picked up when quoting earlier posts, in which a Typo slipped through in the original post.

I have always been able to modify posts, mainly due to spelling, for much longer than 10 hours later.
Sometimes days later...

Whilst we're looking at introducing change, a Multi-quote option would be nice, as on other Forums, removing the need for a lot of off-line copy, cut and pasting !
Such as this post !!!!!  Wink

There is a Plus point to having a new 10 hour window......
It stops people changing Thread titles, to keep their thread current, and thereby increase the thread viewing figures, rather than starting a new thread !!
And appearing as if it was a New thread in Unread Posts.
A technique I have seen used before.
Even though it was not against Forum Rules to have done so in the past.

There you go, one long amended, amended, amended post to copy, cut & paste, rather than separate quoted posts, that would have so much easier, or by using a Multi-quote option.
At least, as at the moment, being the last post in this thread, so far, it has every likelihood of being read.
Especially when the next postee, posts, thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There's a very good reason for allowing the first post in in topic to be edited perhaps days or weeks later - to add "[solved]" or similar to the title.
I can understand the reason for the change but wasn't aware of the specific event that caused it to be considered. What we will have to do if we need to make a correction to a post more than 10 hours later is contact the moderators and get them to do it for us. To that end being able to report one's own posts would be handy!