cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging in to forums bug - today (and oh no not again)

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Logging in to forums bug - today (and oh no not again)

@JonoH 

From the home page - https://community.plus.net/ the sign in link to the upper right does not work.

The URL shows - https://community.plus.net/t5/user/userloginpage?dest_url=https//community.plus.net/

The only way I've found to be able to sign in is via hitting reply to any post, clicking cancel and then I'm logged in to do whatever I want to do.

I'm guessing this might be related to the maintenance on the Plusnet site in the very early hours of this am?

Anyone out there seeing the same?

30 REPLIES 30
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Logging in to forums bug - today (and oh no not again)

It's working fine for me in Chrome

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for checking Smiley

Nope, having deleted everything browser related, plus checking for browser updates, it's still not working for me on FF 66.0.5

(as I was signed out before your reply, clicking the thumbs up, which presents the normal login page, also works fine, as does hitting the reply button)

So it appears to be browser related....? Sad

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

As mentioned elsewhere it is essential that the browser environment is mentioned when reporting these issues. It rather looks as though testing is only being performed on the Chrome browser these days. Seems odd when there are much better options available.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Indeed it is and I should have mentioned Firefox in my first post Embarrassed

(though Jono is already aware this is my preferred browser;))

I've been following another topic whereby Jono has given the figures for the browsers in use. IMHO these forums (or any Plusnet site for that matter) should work on any browser and no one browser should be the forum owners number one choice.

I personally have never used the Chrome browser on my previous laptop or the one in use now. In honesty I would be able to count on one hand how many times I've used Chrome (on other owners devices).

DS
Seasoned Champion

It's still not working for me on Firefox Sad

However I have spotted somethingHuh

If you open a new home page and do nothing but move the cursor in the white space (above forum, blog and browse) then all's well. Though after clicking the sign in, nothing happens, but then moving the cursor causes various parts of the white banner to appear to be hiding something that looks like it might be an image (or similar)

Here's after clicking sign in:

ooo err.PNG

(my cursor changes from the default arrow, like it 'sees' something)

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@DS wrote:

@JonoH 

From the home page - https://community.plus.net/ the sign in link to the upper right does not work.

The URL shows - https://community.plus.net/t5/user/userloginpage?dest_url=https//community.plus.net/

That's strange it's working perfectly for me on FF and Chrome. I've tested it on 4 machines.

The only way I've found to be able to sign in is via hitting reply to any post, clicking cancel and then I'm logged in to do whatever I want to do.

I'm guessing this might be related to the maintenance on the Plusnet site in the very early hours of this am?

It's hosted by a third party it shouldn't be impacted by our maintenance, apart from in very rare scenarios

@Townman wrote:

As mentioned elsewhere it is essential that the browser environment is mentioned when reporting these issues. It rather looks as though testing is only being performed on the Chrome browser these days. Seems odd when there are much better options available.

Testing for Plusnet releases includes testing on multiple browsers, including Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari. 

@DS wrote:

IMHO these forums (or any Plusnet site for that matter) should work on any browser and no one browser should be the forum owners number one choice.

To be clear, we don't have a number one choice, you, the customer have collectively chosen one browser over another.for the majority of traffic...  I for example use FF & Chrome

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

In reference to Internet Explorer did you mean Edge?

They are different and the former is very much falling out of fashion ... but sometimes its simplicity works where complex stuff (such as some bits of billing) fails on the more ‘modern ‘ browsers ... again proving that not all of what’s modern is universally better than what was replaced.

DS
Seasoned Champion

But do you get the 'sign in screen' when you click on the sign in on the home page?

When I click on it, nothing happens Sad

(the second URL is highlighted - but the sign in link does nothing)

If I open the second URL in a new tab then it works as intended and I get the sign in screen Huh

I'll ignore the main site maintenance as a possible reason:)

It is odd that if works at times and at others (with no changes here) it doesn't....

Oh, ok, thanks. I've been a 'fan' of FF for several years and do plan on using it for the foreseeable future Smiley

edit. Typo

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hang on a minute Huh

Same laptop, same browser, same user, same browser session, same everything, no reboot, no W updates, no FF updates and it's working fine now - after it started working I even deleted all the history etc, shut the browser, went back and it still works fine.

So, if nothing has changed, what fixed it....?

<Stares blankly at my white jacket that straps up at the back and looks at a means of fitting the sofa cushions to the wall>

christianpjones
Rising Star

Any ad blockers running? IME these can play havoc with some sites.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Yes I do like to be able to browse the www without being offered various products or services Smiley

(and certain scripts too)

But all addons are set to manually update - just checked and no recent historic updates and no new updates pending.

If nothing changed at my end, what did?

(unless it was another survey from Plusnet)

I do get a popup regarding accepting cookies when I first come to the forum homepage and another one for taking a survey when I've finished on the forums, other than that I don't get any more, so maybe you see others?

christianpjones
Rising Star

I got the cookies popup the first time I visited the site (as expected) but I've never seen the one for a survey.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Maybe you don't stick around for long enough....?

(I tend to post and then log out - but that's a personal preference due to something I discovered regarding the profiling of the poster(s), but this stems right back to my time when I was on BT's forums)

Anyway, from a clean browser (FF) when I first load the home page, I see this:

cookies.PNG

But due to my settings, the 'Change settings' are already decided by me, so I can click 'I Accept', but here's what is already decided:

cookies settings.PNG

(as mentioned though, they are set like this by default due to my browser addons)

When a page is open, after x seconds (never timed it) I get this popup too:

pop up.PNG

When I click No Thanks I no longer get this popup for until I restart my browser.

So I get a bonus (yet something I'll never fill out) popup but you don't Huh

edit in blue

christianpjones
Rising Star

I just tried a clean FF log in. I got the cookies popup and (after about five minutes) the survey popup as well. I normally use Chrome with an adblocker so that must be why I've never seen the survey one before.