Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Lithium issue: replying to a topic screen jumps around taking ages to render

• What browser and version number this was seen on: MS Edge 44.17763.1.0
  • The operating system: Win10 1809 Build 17763.379
  • A description of what is happening compared to what should be happening
    When using MS Edge browser, on clicking REPY to a topic the REPLY screen loads, jumps up and down, draws a grid at the bottom of the screen jumps up and down more, removes the grid and is then fully ready for input.  This takes 10-15 seconds during which time one might have started typing and what has been typed might or might not be there.
  • The steps needed to replicate the problem
    Follow the above description
  • The URL where the problem occurs
    Reply to any topic
  • A screenshot (if possible) 
    IIRC A commentated screen grab video was sent to @JonoH around 13th Nov 2018 along with a .har file reporting lots of errors
  • Any additional information
    See comments here - https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/SIte-load-process-performance/m-p/1588054#M148...
    Also note that the .har file shows page loads accessing services not required for the delivery of the forum service, such as Liveperson

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

23 REPLIES 23
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Lithium issue: replying to a topic screen jumps around taking ages to render

Thanks for the report, this has been raised under case 00195205.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
JonoH
Hero

Re: Lithium issue: replying to a topic screen jumps around taking ages to render

Our suppliers have been able to reproduce this on Firefox as well, this is occurring due to a Freemarker error.

I'll provide more information when it's available.

Jono H
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@JonoH 

Thank you - clearly Lithium are more scared of you than they were of Jack - I believe he raised this months ago!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero

The problem has been identified to be related to component "js-SubjectDisableJavascript". Our suppliers are now working on a fix to this issue. 

Jono H
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@JonoH Has a "fix" for this been deployed? I am no longer seeing the reported problem … but as mentioned by @jab1 and others elsewhere... + The post options list (drop-down) does not display, but as a SU I see Jack's SU escalation link + Thanks does not work In post a reply + Quote does not work + Rich text options are not displayed + @tagging is not working There might be more!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@JonoH - also looking at the above formatting is broken … and if having typed a response and then looked at the HTML tag, all that was types is erased!!! Sad

JonoH
Hero

I've not been advised of a fix yet, just that the problem has been identified and that a fix is being worked on. I'm nor sure what's caused today's issues but it's raised with our suppliers.
 Jono H
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

"Has a "fix" for this been deployed?" I'd say it's the other bits broken causing the issue you reported to look like it's working. Take this reply for example, when I click reply, there is no cursor in the reply box, I have to click my mouse button in the box to be able to type a reply.
JonoH
Hero

No fix has been deployed according to our vendors, let's not speculate I'll give you the info when I get it from Khoros
 Jono H
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I agree that we should not speculate, but in the same spirit of complain firmly when things are wrong, something has changed because it is now SIGNIFICANTLY better on MS Edge...

1. Less jumping around (there is still a little)
  2. Much faster loading
  3. No visibility of the grid being drawn

Thank you!!

JonoH
Hero

Apparently this issue is caused by a custom component added by Jack during his time here and so our suppliers need additional time to look into how to fix it.

Jono H
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

... or Jack’s replacement needs to fix it?

This rings alarm bells. The nature of such tool kits is end users (in this case Plusnet) can customise the solution. I recall Liam citing such as a key decision influencer when choosing this technology over others.

Surely given the decision to customise the solution, it is not incumbent upon Plusnet to ensure it has, develops and maintains the skills required to support and maintain such customisations?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not only does it ring alarm bells, it’s really really worrying that no one in an I.T. centric company like this has the skills needed to do this it actually beggars belief.

JonoH
Hero

@Anonymous wrote:it’s really really worrying that no one in an I.T. centric company like this has the skills needed to do this it actually beggars belief.

We do have people, and we can do it, however when there's an issue the first port of call is to get it diagnosed. Our supplier needs to do that as they're much more efficient at it, they've located the issue. We could, if we wanted task our development team to resolve it.. however as minor bug it's unlikely to be done as a priority and and our suppliers are happy to fix it themselves. It makes sense to me that we utilize this service and use our own developers on more pressing matters.

Jono H