Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link to Home Page

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Link to Home Page

I know this has been mentioned before, but …
Huh I wanted to go back to the Home page and was looking for the link among the words on the title bar at the top.
Eventually I remembered the Community title was the link, and clicking that did the trick.  However I suggest user-friendliness would be improved by adding a Home button between Logout and About to supplement the Title link.
David
David
11 REPLIES 11
Tamlyn
Grafter

Re: Link to Home Page

I agree. Let's do it! The only thing is that when not logged in, there isn't currently any room for the 'home' link so we'll have to shuffle things around a bit.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Will the Bugs link be required once the site goes live?  Removing that would provide space for Home; I'd give the latter higher priority.
David
Tamlyn
Grafter

Aye good point.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It may still not be obvious to everyone  - clearly the OP did not spot it - so for clarity I think there should be an 'official' link at the top.
In fact I think there should also be a link back to the portal member centre page either at the top or somewhere obvious.
Be3G
Grafter

Just to throw a spanner in to the works:
I hate the 'Home' link in the breadcrumb trail. Whenever I want to go to the home page of the forums, I click on it, then find myself back on the whole site's home page. I think the reason for that is that the breadcrumb trail is only visible when browsing the forums, presumably as it's part of the forum software. As such, my mind automatically treats it as a breadcrumb trail within the forums only, thus causing me to believe that the 'Home' link won't leave the forums.
It appears I may be in a minority over this; in which case, fair enough. But personally, I think you either need to add a 'Home' button as originally suggested by the OP and get rid of the 'Home' breadcrumb, or, you need to make the trail work across the whole site, thus making it more consistent.
7th_star
Grafter

I also like the idea of breadcrumbs throughout the site.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Be3G

It appears I may be in a minority over this; in which case, fair enough. But personally, I think you either need to add a 'Home' button as originally suggested by the OP and get rid of the 'Home' breadcrumb, or, you need to make the trail work across the whole site, thus making it more consistent.

Totally agree with that - I've clicked the Home breadcrumb by mistake a few times even though I know where it goes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suspect I actually click the first item in the breadcrumbs without reading it and expect it to go to the index page of the forums. I'd prefer the community home page not to be in the breadcrumbs.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Be3G
Grafter

I agree jelv - I think that's how my mind works too.
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
But personally, I think you either need to add a 'Home' button as originally suggested by the OP and get rid of the 'Home' breadcrumb, or, you need to make the trail work across the whole site, thus making it more consistent.

I think we need both! The breadcrumbs for wordpress is already on my todo list
I see what you're saying about how breadcrumbs often just relate to the forum part, not the whole site but I think the 'proper' and ultimately more intuitive way to do it is to have consistent breadcrumbs accross the whole site with 'home' as the site home. Just because it's often done wrong doesn't mean we shouldn't do it right Wink
Be3G
Grafter

Yep, I agree that two equally useful solutions are better than one.