cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the new community site load balanced?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the new community site load balanced?

I am asking as this may explain the Authentication errors users are getting due to the incorrect migration of session data. Just a thought. 

14 REPLIES 14
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Is the new community site load balanced?

Well this was not happening the first day that this new forum was up and running, so I'm doubting it. I'm guessing this is probably one that @bobpullen might be able to answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair point @Anotherone but it could be said that maybe because the site had been in read only mode there wouldn't be a need to make use of it or enough use for the issue to surface. I'm suggesting this as whenever I encounter the error I go back to the previous page, reload and re-mark as read and to date that's not failed me, which really got me thinking about the load balancing / data issue, the clue of course being an "Authorisation" error, implying the data needed (cookie derived session data) to authenticate you wasn't carried forward to the server onto which your request landed.

Anotherone
Champion

This system is not even sited on the same servers or at the same location as the previous forum.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Even if it was load balanced the session would be pinned
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may well be the case assuming a correct configuration.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Anonymous wrote:

This may well be the case assuming a correct configuration.

Aye.  There's the rub!

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Anotherone wrote:

Well this was not happening the first day that this new forum was up and running, so I'm doubting it. I'm guessing this is probably one that @bobpullen might be able to answer.

I'm not sure of the answer if I'm honest, but I'd guess it is (I'll try and find out). Having said that, I'm not sure what particular issue is being referred to?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bobpullen - The issue being referred to is in my original post. When a site is load balanced the session data has to be carried correctly across all servers, if this has not been done properly it can lead to issues. I was suggesting this because the Authentication error is random and it may be that the session data wasn't being migrated correctly so when you asked to have your items marked as read you got the auth error due to incomplete data.

Edit :

It may just be coincidence but I've just marked all posts read on the first click of the link without issue, but as there were only 13 users online at the time the server load is minimal. It may be worth watching to see if the auth issue gets more and more frequent as the load increases. Again, just at thought.

Anotherone
Champion

Now it's strange that you should mention what you have in that edit, because I had noticed the issues "seemed" less prevalent when there were few users on-line,but they still did occur.

mtrinder
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi guys,

I too wondered if load balancing was causing the intermittent nature of the issues and mentioned that to Lithium, but as part of a much broader discussion of the problems so I didn't get a direct answer on that one.

However, they have made some changes to the Live community - so I'd appreciate it if anyone reading this can follow the step outlined in this post and let me know if the issues are still persisting for them - especially the authentication message issue.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mtrinder - It would be good to know what this fix involved and if it were related to load balancing. Not for brownie points or anything like that, but if people are contributing and suggesting things it is good to know. When things are left dangling then...

mtrinder
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I agree @Anonymous, it is worth knowing. I'll make sure I follow it up and ask about the load balancing too. I'm still waiting to hear back from Lithium at the moment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mtrinder - Any progress on this? Also, you will be able to see if the service is load balanced by reading the contract you have with Lithium. Wink

mtrinder
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Anonymous wrote:

@mtrinder - Any progress on this?

I've asked the question Smiley