Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have just had a word Censored

zedingrove
Grafter

I have just had a word Censored

Why???
Please go here and look up the word that was Censored  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/crap ; You will note it is a Noun...
34 REPLIES 34
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: I have just had a word Censored

I don't care - don't use it
zedingrove
Grafter

Boy did you get my goat up, but then I read this article titled  "What is a Forum Moderator?"
Think you should have that some where on here because after reading it, I thought fair play and all that...
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-forum-moderator.htm
Have a question when posters put links up they use a Hyper link yet when ever I try it does not work, just like upload a picture, can browse
and select picture file but not upload?
Cheers
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Because you aren't doing it correctly
This is the format [img]http://www.plus.net/images/satisfaction/homepage/icon_trans_which.png[/img] which gives

and just to be clear the Forum swear filter is there for a specific reason and if a word falls foul of it - tough luck think of an alternative
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Bear in mind there could be impressionable youngsters reading here (as well as us sensitive oldies).  Wink
The rules are in place for the benefit of all and the moderators contribute their own time to keep everything shipshape.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
zedingrove
Grafter

Cool thanks for the tip.... Wise One  Cool
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: walker23
Bear in mind there could be impressionable youngsters reading here

Cobblers, when was the last time (if ever) anyone who could be considered an "impressionable youngster" contributed to this forum ?
The youngest that I remember was Amanha, revising for their GCSEs and getting ready for sixth form,  so beyond being an "impressionable youngster".
While I'm not advocating this forum removing the swear filter, in my opinion some mildly questionable forum content has been moderated to protect a hypothetical (i.e. non-existent) minority of the intended audience.  I think this idea that children frequented this site might have been true back in the pre-Plusnet Force9 dial-up days when there used to be a section in the community pages, where there were a number of simple flash/java games which would keep children amused for hours - but as far as I can tell, those pages have long since disappeared as have the children.
What "impressionable youngsters" DO access these days is "YouTube", which particularly in the comments below the videos, is littered with expletives and unacceptable language (even if any children did take any notice of the T&Cs regarding needing to be 13 years old to use the service).  I find it particularly disappointing when my eight year old is set school homework to watch some "YouTube" clips and then write a summary of what they have seen, only to discover the set homework video's has associated pages and pages of disgusting comments that other "YouTube" members have posted.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes, some teaching methods seem somewhat ill thought out these days.
I wouldn't be so sure about  "..........long since disappeared as have the children."  Wink
There's plenty that have thrown their rattles out of the pram before they've finished the first sentence, never mind those that should have gone to specsavers.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really ?, what is there of the slightest interest in this forum that would keep a child's attention for more than a millisecond ?
Most of this forum is either moaning about a specific technical broadband related issue, or chit chat between mostly grumpy old gits or the unemployed.
There is nothing here that is 'cool', and children are much more likely to frequent social networks where they can exchange their views with others of their own age group, or gaming, or watching streaming videos and catch-up TV.
I challenge any child (and not prompted to do so be their parent), that if they are reading this thread, to post a reply here that says -
        "Hello my name is little Timmy, aged 11, I frequently read the Plusnet forum threads, and 'purleigh' you are wrong !"
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Grin I think you might have mis-interpreted the word 'children'  Lips_are_sealed
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone - OK just for you -
       "Hello my name is little Willy, aged 5, my Daddy won't let me touch his computer and he keeps me locked up under the apple and pears, he says I can't go on the Plusnet forum until I can speak proper and don't act like a royal hampton.
Cheesy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So you are advocating that because sites like YouTube end up with unsavoury comments these forums should lower the bar for acceptable language? Just because other places have poor standards doesn't mean these forums should copy them. There's only one place a policy like that will end  - in the gutter! If you don't believe me take a look at a the recent threads on on p.s.c-f (which is obviously uncensored) - we don't want any episodes like that on here!
These forums are here for a purpose. Please explain how lowering standards will further that purpose.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: purleigh
Quote from: walker23
Bear in mind there could be impressionable youngsters reading here

Cobblers, when was the last time (if ever) anyone who could be considered an "impressionable youngster" contributed to this forum ?

I think I contribute a reasonable amount  and compared to most of you I'm only just out of nappies..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thank you jelv, let's keep up the standards for everyone's benefit.
I don't think anyone's advocating a lowering of standards (I hope not anyway).
Whether or not children do read these forums, who can say but they are 'open to the public' for viewing and may contain much something of interest to the occasional 'geeky' youngster or keen internet gamer.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
paulh
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
take a look at a the recent threads on on p.s.c-f (which is obviously uncensored) -

What's that? I googled but all I got was the Pennsylvania State Chess Federation and Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith