Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change my user name?

polly18
Dabbler

How to change my user name?

Hello moderators,
I wish to change my user name to match other forum sites.
Please advise how I can do this.
Thanks.  John Perkins
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: How to change my user name?

all you can do is go into the 'profile' section at the top of the screen and then under 'account related settings' change your name.
note this will only change your display name and not your account name, change of account name isn't possible.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
polly18
Dabbler

Thanks for reply.
I'm happy with the display name, I wanted to change the username.
Is it possible to cancel this account and re-register with a different username?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I don't believe it is with the way it links with the PN backend systems
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
polly18
Dabbler

OK, I guess I'll have to live with it then.
But it's unsatisfactory IMHO.
I have managed to do this on all my other forum sites (lots of them), trying to acheive uniformity, but now have this frustrating stumbling block.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As people can only see the Display name(s) you pick, I'm struggling to see the problem. As an aside perhaps, if your Username is the same as your Plusnet Account name, I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone use those for the Display name.
polly18
Dabbler

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem"
How true - probably why you can't see it !
Not exactly a 'problem' anyway.
I have more than 20 forums / blogs / advice sites I am subscribed to and I am merely trying to make common usernames and passwords so I don't have to remember or write down loads of different ones.
Obviously I am only doing this on sites where I cannot be financially or otherwise compromised.
As I said before, I have managed this everywhere but  with this one exception.
Users should be free to change their username whenever they wish. (As they can their password).
And no, I am not using and have no intention of using my PlusNet account name.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: rufford155
"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem"
How true - probably why you can't see it !
Not exactly a 'problem' anyway.

Ah well, as you didn't explain your "problem" (that doesn't exist anyway) - that it was the actual "logging-in" that was the issue - and that I've now deduced because you've mentioned "password" in your last post, a solution could be very simple.
First, it depends on whether you've been a Plusnet customer continuously since 2007 when your first registered with the forum, as you haven't made any posts until April 2015, the thought occurred to me that you may have been with another ISP in the interim and only recently come back?
If that's the case, I assume your current main Plusnet account is not the one you had in 2007 with which this forum account will be associated. So if you are happy with the current display name for a new account, then change the display name on this forum account to something different, and then register a new forum account using the username and display name you want, which will then be associated with your new Plusnet account.
If however you've been a customer all along, the only "practical" solution I can think of (if the mods can't do anything) is to tick the box "Always stay logged in" - that way you won't have to bother with the Username and password each time you visit - cookies will deal with it.
polly18
Dabbler

Many thanks for your efforts to help, much appreciated.
Afraid I've been with PlusNet since 2005 continuously so no joy there.
I guess I must lead a charmed digital life with no need to post on the forum until recently.
Staying logged in - good idea - I will certainly think about it.
By the way, my first post said "I wish to change my user name to match other forum sites" - clear enough what I wanted to do?
Anotherone
Champion

That was clear, but it wasn't obvious why it was creating a problem as some people would only be concerned that their display name was consistent across several sites. When you mentioned password, that's when it was obvious what you had hoped to achieve.
polly18
Dabbler

OK, thanks again.
I am unsubscribing from this thread now.