Did you mean: 

Global Banning of all customers on General Chat

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Global Banning of all customers on General Chat

@Mav wrote:

Moderator's note:

This was not a blanket ban on everyone but a chance to give us moderators time to discuss the best options before things got too far out of hand.

With respect, I must disagree with what you're saying Mav.

I am unable to post in general chat - as is everyone else. Call it a ban, suspension, disablement or whatever other fancy name you can come up with that means the same thing, the end result is that we've all been banned from posting in that forum for 48 hours.

Why? What did I do wrong? I was outside working on a car and had been pretty busy the day before. I don't recall getting involved in anything that was heated. I know there are a few members who do though and they'll then pretend to be all innocent for it. Why should the rest of us be punished for what the few have done?

So because those few members that can't contain themselves or learn from their mistakes have decided to cause annoyance to many, the rest of us are going to wrongly suffer.

As for you mods having time to discuss this, I feel that is also a feeble excuse. You guys have your own private forum for discussing issues among yourselves and with PN staff. You don't really need to struggle to find time to discuss issues or plan for future events / outbreaks.

We all know that you guys have intervened when certain members suddenly go quiet after a spat. We're not idiots, we can work these things out but what I don't understand is why you haven't silenced the members concerned but instead chosen to punish everyone?

As I've said earlier this place plays a large part in my online life and this feels like a kick in the teeth.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@7up wrote:

@Mav wrote:

Moderator's note:

This was not a blanket ban on everyone but a chance to give us moderators time to discuss the best options before things got too far out of hand.

With respect, I must disagree with what you're saying Mav.

I am with @7up here - explain to me how it is not a blanket ban? You don't exactly have to be Columbo to work out this is the case.

So can the mods therefore explain as it is not a "blanket ban" who can post? People who don't have elevated mod/admin permissions excluded of course.

Looking forward to a "Moderators Note" to justify that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were a mod or member of staff reading this thread, I would be terribly tempted to think that 48 hours was not enough.

Just read through the comments here - some strong criticisms of the mods’ made in public instead of following what the rules say about what you should do if you disagree with their actions, continuing attempts to blame the events in General Chat on one forum member, and yet not one member willing to say “yes, I’m sorry, maybe I was wrong” with respect to recent posts. Yes, some have been good enough to admit that they may have overstepped the mark, but they are quick to point out that that was all in the past...

Well, let me try a different tack here. I will hold my hands up now and admit that I have overstepped the mark in recent days. I felt I was justified in doing that in order to defend my views, which do not always concur with the majority view in the forum, but in retrospect I think I was too keen to do that by posting responses rather than referring those who I felt were attacking me to the Mods. For that I apologise.

Just my opinion, but I think that the only chance we have for the General Chat board to have a future is if some of the other forum members are also prepared to reflect on their actions and decide that maybe they were a little too confrontational and to attempt to be more friendly in future.

How about it?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Anonymous

I can be quite opinionated at times and I hope I haven't upset anyone to contribute to the General Chat Blanket Ban.

So I apologise if I have (not being sarcastic) to the staff and mods.

I still feel any users who cause a concern should have been contacted and it addressed on a user basis. Not the easy option of changing an admin setting of disabling a forum for a few days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Time, once again, to take a break from the Chat Rooms methinks.

I have a cupboard full of KitKats ready & waiting....

KK Break.jpg

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Alex wrote:

@Anonymous

I can be quite opinionated at times and I hope I haven't upset anyone to contribute to the General Chat Blanket Ban.

So I apologise if I have (not being sarcastic) to the staff and mods.

I still feel any users who cause a concern should have been contacted and it addressed on a user basis. Not the easy option of changing an admin setting of disabling a forum for a few days.

@Alex In a non offensive way your post was not needed or necessary. I don't ever recall seeing a post from you that had a negative vibe.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.
Locked as the thread has served its purpose and there are some spammy off topic posts.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'