cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Banning of all customers on General Chat

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Global Banning of all customers on General Chat

None of us have been  ' banned ' @shutter the board is on lock down for two days. 

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

To pick up on the pub analogy ... if a licenced place where people gather (such as a pub) is perceived to give a risk of causing public disorder it can be closed (to everyone) for a short period by the order of a police inspector.  That is not dissimilar to when pubs are closed by police order in some areas on football match days.  Possibly unfair to some but it is the only safe option for the protection of everyone.

Seems that the mods have followed a similar principle.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

While we’re on analogies then, lets assume there’s a Cricket Club somewhere and some of the guys decide to play foul and tamper with the ball and get caught. I don’t think the others in the team would be pleased to get a playing ban for the wrong doings of some of the team members.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

This was not a blanket ban on everyone but a chance to give us moderators time to discuss the best options before things got too far out of hand. As access to the remaining boards is still available and General Chat is more of an extra then the moderator action in this instance is appropriate.

To suggest the moderators 'consider EVERYONE has committed the same "crime"' is naive at best and can be seen as offensive.

If any members feel that the decision is so wrong then you do have the option to challenge it as laid out in the Forum Rules.

As for any action that may or may not be taken against any individual we cannot discuss this openly in the forum or by PM except to that individual.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

I'm a Mod on a completely unrelated forum, where the Forum Rules are not a million miles different from this one, and although some rules are black and white, those regarding unpleasant or abusive postings are always going to be largely a matter of judgement, which by definition may well upset those at either extreme of the opinion spectrum (that's why not everyone wants to be a mod, and the pay is lousy!)

Threads which start getting excessively political or abusive often end up being locked, usually after posting a warning that that will be the next step if the tone doesn't improve. Locking stops the unpleasantness in its tracks of course (at least as far as that thread is concerned), and gives those responsible time to reflect on their role in it. 

You eventually get to wearily realise that there are one or more repeat offenders, who are warned in private that if they don't mend their ways they will be temporarily suspended or even banned, although it's very rare for either to happen (they often quit of their own volition, presumably to forums more tolerant of persistently confrontational behaviour.)

I don't want to express an opinion about whether the mods on this forum made the right decision because I don't have all the facts - you may well occasionally need the proverbial sledgehammer when faced with having more than one obstinately tough walnut to crack.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Mav Your explanation comes a little late in the proceedings.....  If that were the case, then it should have been made clear from the start.

I refer you to the original statement.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

Moderators Note.

After a discussion amongst the moderators in light of recent behaviour by several members chit chit will be suspended as a board for 48 hours. 

This should give all members time to reflect and cool down and realise what a great area that is being ruined. 

Once the period is up the board will be available to all again and we hope it will return to the great space it was.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

The effective line there being right in the middle....

This should give all members time to reflect and cool down

The original statement says nothing about giving the mods time to discuss the best options...  but leaves it up to all members to cool down...  

The action of the mods to Suspend the General Chat by locking ALL the threads to ALL the users, IS a blanket BAN whichever way you look at it.  and totally unfair to those who have had nothing whatsoever to do with the thread(s) in question.

You said..... "To suggest the moderators 'consider EVERYONE has committed the same "crime"' is naive at best and can be seen as offensive.

Likewise, your statement that ALL members should "cool down" can be seen as offensive to those of us who have done nothing regarding this affair.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

@Mav wrote:

Moderator's note:

As for any action that may or may not be taken against any individual we cannot discuss this openly in the forum or by PM except to that individual.

Fair enough but might it be useful to say, as a result of recent posts a member or members have been banned from the forum for a period of time.

By doing that you are sending a clear message that action has been taken without refrence to the name(s) of that individual(s)

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Sorry @gleneagles but I have to refer you to my previous comment where I said the chit chat is full with mature, wise souls. And you being a long time member knows that what you are suggesting has never been the way the mods work on this forum and it isn't hard for people to put 2 and 2 together and see when someone has,  all of a sudden gone missing without mods practically calling them out.The board is locked down for 48 hours, next it might be for good. Think about that.

From the forum rules, 

Moderator actions

The moderators are empowered to perform any actions they deem fit to protect the integrity of the forums. 

Banning of users, both temporarily and permanently where required. Bans are the last resort

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I only have one thing to say   " Your name is on ze list PIKE "  Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@rongtw

I see you like living close to the edge.

Wink

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@Steve

But therein lies the puzzle, if the person(s) concerned have been banned the problem is solved so no need to lockdown chitchat, on the otherhand they have not been banned and likely to revert to previous behaviour possibly resulting in (your words, chit chat being closed on a permanent basis)

As you say most people are sensible and mature and get a lot out of chit chat otherwise few if any would bother posting there and it would be wrong for the majority to suffer because of the few.

If chit chat was closed we might find more general and irrevelant comments appearing in other parts of the forum, thus leading to disruption there so even more suffer.

The PN boards are one of the best and most useful imo when compared with other isp boards and it would be a tragedy for many of us if they were  ruined.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion, and borne out by experience, if the Mods did a better job of moderating and curtailing the  postings and deleting of some posts  by certain participants, (repeat offenders) there would be no need for this current action.

Plus a temporary ban, possibly a permanent ban for continued nastiness.

It is very frustrating to report a post, then to have nothing done about it.

No explanation, nothing.

Especially when the same "poster" is often the miscreant a lot of the time !

Time, once again, to take a break from the Chat Rooms methinks.

There are other Forums that are better managed, and policed.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes right, we have the option to challenge it. Might as well cut out the middle man and not bother.

Rather like when the government have consultations and pretend they listen and do what they wanted to do anyway.

I have a lot of respect for the mods, and I assume PlusNet senior management have been involved in this. They don't really have a good track record of "Management" and "Logic".

But delaying a forum for 2 days won't make any difference - it will return tomorrow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alex wrote:
But delaying a forum for 2 days won't make any difference - it will return tomorrow.

Tomorrow! Shouldn't it be today? I would have assumed that it would return 48 hours from the timestamp on the suspension notice that was issued at ‎07-04-2018 19:32 so +48 hours means ‎09-04-2018 19:32

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Alex wrote:

Bearing in mind the restriction was applied during the weekend, the two day period is significant in that it allows the mods to consult with PN staff during normal working hours (i.e today)

My personal opinion is that it was the right thing to do. If certain members cannot keep threads lighthearted, more tolerant of others opinions, and refrain from personal comments, then they spoil it for the rest and unfortunately we all suffer. The General Chat board should not be seen as a vehicle for debating devisive topics.

It was never like this before Brexit 

My other car isn't a Ferrari