Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Flakiness All Round

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

General Flakiness All Round

Is anyone else finding the forum flakey as hell for the last week or as at least?    Issues that I've found include ..

• Letting you type a post or reply, then erroring when hitting Post - errors like "invalid token",  "SSL length exceeded" and some others I can't remember
  • When you start to create a reply, the appropriate screen appears and lets you type a couple of words, then clears underneath you and redraws, zapping what you've already typed
  • (Just found this similar one).  Create a new post, appropriate screen appears, get halfway through typing the Subject then bang, screen clears and redraws, zapping some but not all of the subject and moving the cursor into the body part and off the subject line
  • General timeouts with "server not responding" messages,

Just wondering if this might be why some of the old regulars have dropped out, and why there's a general lack of activity.   I've certainly had a few posts and replies that I've carefully typed, only to have them zapped when I tried to submit, generally at that stage I give up and don't retry.

25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: General Flakiness All Round

To be fair I can't say that I have, the forum's looking better since the update the other day and I've not been a victim of anything that you describe. However, one question do you use a Mac?

aesmith
Pro

I've experienced these issues from Windows and Android.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason I was asking as that I use the glass touch pad on my Mac that is quite susceptible to fatfingeritis, so if I'm not careful when using it it can think I'm swiping left or right and dump my current page. Maybe others will comment but for me the site works as expected.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

No, not seeing those issues at all. Normally post from a PC running WIndows 10 using Chrome stable browser without issues.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

Must say I've not encountered any of that, Tony, but must admit I don't post all that much.

John
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@aesmith With Windows were you using the Edge browser on Win10? I've not used it much - and not for posting here yet, but I have had an odd few gremlins with it where it either closed or content disappeared when I didn't expect it. My preferred browser at the moment is PaleMoon which I use here.
Although I've only made a few posts recently (none on Tuesday & Wednesday this week), I've not had any of the issues you mentioned.

aesmith
Pro

Right - first try at replying here, composed the reply and hit "Post" ....

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

aesmith
Pro

OK try again.   Really need to remember to compose in Notepad and paste into the forum.

Browser is Firefox, 46.0.1 on Windows, and whatever is the current version on Android.

I get that page re-drawing almost every time, I wonder if it's because I'm on a relatively slow connection (4meg), maybe on high speed it's not noticeable as it completes before you start typing.  I'll be able to test on Monday.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aesmith - Can you explain what you mean by 're-drawing' please.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Is this just another FF 46 problem ?  as since i am on FF47 i dont get any errors now .

maybe OP needs to update FF to 47 and try again

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rongtw, @aesmith - Upgrading to FF 47 is worth a try as I'm running 47.0.1 with no errors, so maybe it's worth a try.

aesmith
Pro

re-drawing

What mean is the issue as follows ..

I click on "Reply"

The reply web page loads completely, with the cursor appearing in the box for the body of the message.   A couple of seconds later (just long enough for me to start typing) the page completely refreshes itself, re-drawing the whole page again and zapping anything I've already typed.

If it happens on a new post, after selecting "Start a Topic" the New Topic screen loads and settles down with the cursor in the subject field, then after a second or so it refreshes itself, re-draws the whole page but this time the cursor in in the body of the message not the subject.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

It's probably a mix of the slow download link and FF46.0.1.

FF46 caused all sorts of issues which stabilised after the upgrade to FF47.  I'm also on a slow link - 2 Meg on a good day - and with this Forum have learned to wait until the page is fully loaded before attempting to interact with it.  8 - 15 secs is about the norm.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that is weird, are you able to try FF 47 or even another browser, like WaterFox, Chrome or PaleMoon?