Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Chat

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: General Chat

@7up wrote:

Well it was plusnet that unlocked the forum to non customers because they wanted it to grow. As mentioned above, i'm sure they'd be horrified to see so many padlocks there too so you can't blame us for your actions.

So take chat away from non-customers? You would lose most of the current posters that post in chat.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Wood for the trees here.

I've said this before and yet you guys continue to twist it but i'll say it once more..

Stop REGISTRATIONS from non customers.

That's quite a lot different to stopping non customers who are already registered.

EG shutter is no longer a customer but has been here for years. Allow him to continue posting. Joe Bloggs however is not a customer and wants to join - do not allow him to register.

This was all policy when we had the SMF forum. I fail to see why it's so difficult for you and plusnet to comprehend now?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@dvorak wrote:
you think the powers that be at PN are going to look through chat and think it reflects well on their brand and are going to want it back?

Is this the the key to it closing?
Let’s face it, this is a Plusnet forum so there will be an association with views expressed on these boards. Putting honestly held logical opinions into the public domain is undesirable and possibly illegal these PC/woke days.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak

Nope - PN had no influence on it.
I merely was saying if someone complained and PN were to get involved they might not look favourably on it.
Customer / Moderator
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@dvorak 

"the majority play nice as long as that majority is regarded as you?"

Now you are just being obtuse.

*Shakes head*

This forum is a window on Plusnet and @7up has made so really good points and any customer old or new is going to wonder what they shambles it's become as they peer in what has become a rather mucky window.

Shame on you. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It a shame history is repeating itself (yes the good old Sun Reader approach by management and the mods) of not being able to handle troublemakers and again taking the scattergun approach of spoiling it by just closing it.

After all in real life, if people were causing trouble and you ran a pub say, and you had troublemakers there:

Competent management will deal with the selected people in an appropriate way, either by a telling off a banning off course.

If had any Business skills Laugh you would ask the people (who you are concerned with to leave or change their manners). Carry on, and BAU for the rest who want to enjoy themselves. 

However if PlusNet and the mods ran a pub then it'll just be closed. The easy approach - to punish everyone and not just the selected people causing the problem.

Root cause analysis.

dvorak

Or out of 20+ areas of the pub the vast majority abided by the rules.
In one area where users had already served several time outs and were let back in again continued not to behave responsibly in the end that section of the pub was closed off. Rest of it remained open.

The forum is first and foremost a support tool, that hasn't changed.

Customer / Moderator
Minivanman
Legend

"Get outta my pub!"

'Peggy Mitchell' has spoken. 😂 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Robo2PNForum
Hooked

I'm not a regular poster here or on that particular forum, but my two-pennyworth is that:

o) It is nice to have a bit of a community here.

o) Allowing non-Plusnet customers to post is asking for trouble. 

That's it really. 

Alex
Community Veteran

Not how I would run things, but what would I know, only having studied Business Studies.

It's like running a supermarket and having people who always cause trouble in the Bread & Milk section. Rather than deal with the people causing the problem, you stop selling Bread and & Milk and close that section off.

I don't think that is the right. The way this forum (isn't) being run, it'll end up just being a load of people who stay for half a dozen posts with a broadband fault, and go once it has been fixed. Won't be anything else someone can say the way things are going.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What can I say except that frankly it looks like the nut job was a plant or just deliberately allowed to continue with their disruptions solely to get this outcome.

Very disappointing. I expected a bit more honesty from plusnet. Not this underhand guff and made up excuses.

Minivanman
Legend

@Robo2PNForum 

Allowing non-Plusnet customers to post is asking for trouble, really?

You really ain't a regular poster in General Chat are you, otherwise you might know that it's the Plusnet subscribers that are given far more elbow room and preference than they deserve turning up as they do with a different hats on to poke and provoke. Sectarianism in action.

Am I wrong?

I'll bet you a pound to a penny I'm not.  

@billnotben 

The thoughts of many that this has all been contrived. 

Three guesses as to who it was that not only built the Trojan horse but push it into General Chat.

Herman Melville
dvorak

Nothing was contrived.

@Alex 

Most of the people complaining - not customers. 

Most of the people complaining would have been removed by something like a three strikes rule.

So the posters that you think make chat such a lovely place would have been removed long ago.

Customer / Moderator
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@dvorak wrote:
it's just one person until the next one person. Then the next one person.
The number of 'just one person' that have asked for their accounts to be deleted because of chat is now beyond a joke.

@dvorak 

I doubt if you've forgotten one particular 'just one person' who asked for their account to be closed just over a year ago, someone who chose a username obviously intended to have political overtones and be deliberately provocative.  Before that account was actually closed I believe that user was given a warning about their avatar and told to change it, and we then saw that user defiantly change their avatar several times to yet more politically motivated, offensive to some of us, images.

If you need a reminder, that was rEUnite.

Prior to that, over the past few years, we've seen a series of similar politically-motivated agenda-orientated trolls, jumping on different bandwagons, and ISTR without fail they've all stated that they would prefer GC to be closed down.

Fast forward to the present and here we are with yet another so-called newcomer, again with a politically provocative username, of which I spotted the potential for trouble on the very first post when that 'new' user appeared, wondering how long it would be before the authorative, know-all, bossy persona appeared.  Not long as it turned out.

For a 'newcomer' she certainly seemed to be au fait with the workings of the forum and its members, and quickly jumped in 'telling people they're wrong', here there and everywhere.

So now it seems, the latest re-incarnation has succeeded in achieving that goal of closing GC without even getting to the stage of mentioning it!

So how about this for an analysis (no I'm not mad!), and don't forget we're dealing with a wily, shape-shifter, blame-shifter character here (and I'm not claiming exclusivity as others may have made some similar observations);

The username 'MinnieWoke' has obviously been very cleverly thought out and deliberately designed to antagonise; IMO aimed in particular as a wind-up to Minivanman who has always attracted a lot of attention from the aforementioned series of trolls due to some perfectly legitimate topics he's brought up, in this case obviously that relatively new kid on the block, 'woke'..

MinnieWoke is obviously a play on Mini Moke, a clear link to Mini cars (e.g. a Mini van) in general, but maybe not so obvious, changing Mini to Minnie has connotations of Minnie the Minx, that other self-styled female trouble maker from the Beano, then obviously just add the 'Woke'.  (ISTR rEUnite was also a female trouble maker as were several of her predecessors)

Next the avatar, clearly an image of a Mini Moke fits the bill, so that's what we get.

But as stated above, the previous trolls have all gone 'head to head' with Minivanman, so I wonder if the situation in the image below was also planned (I suspect very likely, although it will meet with denial)? 

i.e. a Minivan and a Mini Moke facing each other off, as seen in the 'Who's online' section of the forum!

HeadToHead.PNG

I did make a partial quote of one of @JonoH s posts earlier in one of the threads in the now locked GC forum regarding his comments about his/your abilities in the 'spotting of re-treads of previous banned persona non grata' and some of the reasons they might be re-admitted to the forum; however, it seems to be another failure, and IMO this particular case doesn't seem to be covered by those re-admittance criteria, other than the one he stated as "at the discretion of the moderators".

I mentioned in that post that your radar is inferior to that of some of us plebs users, which has been shown to be the case on numerous occasions.

Regarding your mention of the members of the PN Forum who post in GC and are not PN customers, I know at least some of them, if not most, have previously been customers, so therefore have some 'inherited' affiliation with PN.

The same cannot be said for the previous trolls, and I would put money on the fact that MinnieWoke is also not a customer and has no intention of becoming one, just like rEUnite before her.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Another misconception by saying that posters are removed with a three strikes rule..

I... and several others, over the years, have been banned, WITH NO WARNING...Never been given a "Three strikes warning" ....  .both instances by different  powermad moderators ( one of which resigned a few years ago ) . who decide which people they likes, and which they doesn`t.

As for "non-customers" being singled out, for such treatment... this is an unfair system... as many of us "non-customers" have contributed to Plusnets coffers, for years..... and also without their tech input, plusnet would be struggling to cope with the amount of repeated faults that they never seem to be able to fix permanently. 

More often than not... it was due to "non-customers".. ( aka regulars ) that assisted new users to sort out and fix their problems, without any input from the so called Customer Service agents on the phones.

So how can you justify your statement to Alex....

Most of the people complaining - not customers. 

Most of the people complaining would have been removed by something like a three strikes rule.

Totally unjustified.... but I am sure you will still try to justify your position to continue in the same manner as usual.