Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum "Who's Online" is broken

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Forum "Who's Online" is broken

Thanks, @Townman for putting many of my thoughts into a concise few words - and thanks for reminding me of Jacks' 'handle' - it had eluded me.

Totally agree with the rest of your post.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I'm now seeing 'square' avatars instead of the normal 'rounded off' circular ones.

SquareAvatars.PNG

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

And as soon as I posted the above they returned to normal - perhaps a local browser glitch.

jab1
Legend

A regular occurrence, @RobPN , which was 'Niburu's'  initial post on here was about - it used to happen on a regular basis when when I started up and checked online users early in the day, but appears randomly these days.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Ah, OK @jab1.

I'd seen the "This widget could not be displayed" message before but hadn't noticed the change in the avatar shape.

Thumbs_Up

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@NickBS 

Whilst we are poking this space, in the detailed list, the IDLE time is not populated except for (apparently) one's own entry.

@jab1 

John, might you help to prove the point by logging out your always logged in session, then log back in and see if you appear as being logged on please?

@Dan_the_Van 

Do you drop your sessions when not using the forum (or login NOT using "Stay logged on")?  Such would explain the regular appearance of your avatar.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@Townman 

Most of my account settings are set to default except;

Privacy setting. "Show online status to: - No One"

Auto-login setting is OFF

I mainly only Sign On from one device at a time using chrome, from a  Windows 11 laptop or Pixel 7 pro smart phone. Closing the browser logs me off. I sometimes Sign Off if I'm not intending to use the forum for a while, mainly to show I am not on line !

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Townman wrote:
  1. It would be unreasonable to expect Plusnet (or another user) to need to freeze a platform such as this at a historic build level - such would rapidly result in the service being unsupportable

Maybe I did not word my post very clearly. I was not suggesting that base software should be frozen for all time. I was trying to make the point that updates should be fully tested for compatibility before being adopted. I presume that this was the purpose of @Mav's staging post? I was questioning: which party was/is responsible for this testing before changes were/are adopted?

I admit that I have no experience in this field but I would assume that this lies with the adopter (i.e. Plusnet) of the basic software.

I get the impression, and again, I might be wrong, that in the past this checking was part of Jack's role, confirmed via the staging post. At this point modifications could be made through communications between the two parties and the problem fixed before release.

With his departure it reads as though the problem is assumed to be the fault of Khorus and their responsibility to fix.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Townman I'm going to post this mornings results in 4 sections. This one is about 30 minutes after I started the laptop. I will put the timestamps on each shot.

John
jab1
Legend

John
jab1
Legend

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 07-56-11 Plusnet Community.pngScreenshot 2023-11-02 at 07-56-36 Users Online - Plusnet Community.png

John
jab1
Legend

And after logging out, waiting five or so minutes, then logging back in:

John
jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Townman wrote:
  1. It would be unreasonable to expect Plusnet (or another user) to need to freeze a platform such as this at a historic build level - such would rapidly result in the service being unsupportable

Maybe I did not word my post very clearly. I was not suggesting that base software should be frozen for all time. I was trying to make the point that updates should be fully tested for compatibility before being adopted. I presume that this was the purpose of @Mav's staging post? I was questioning: which party was/is responsible for this testing before changes were/are adopted?

I admit that I have no experience in this field but I would assume that this lies with the adopter (i.e. Plusnet) of the basic software.

I get the impression, and again, I might be wrong, that in the past this checking was part of Jack's role, confirmed via the staging post. At this point modifications could be made through communications between the two parties and the problem fixed before release.

With his departure it reads as though the problem is assumed to be the fault of Khorus and their responsibility to fix.

@Baldrick1 Although it is a long time since @jaread83 or anyone on the Plusnet staff have modified anything on the forum, my understanding is that the 'staging' environment was for testing changes by Plusnet - not Lithium/Khorus.

Since Jack was moved elsewhere//left, there have been no Plusnet initiated changes to the program -  the only organisation garrying out modifications has been Khorus, and actions by them cannot be influenced/checked by Plusnet - unless, as in this topic, concerns are raised by actual users and referred back to them by - now - @NickBS .

John
jab1
Legend

Even stranger - I 'disappeared' as usual at around the hour mark this morning, but went out around 1330, came back around 1645, clicked to refresh, read the missed posts, then just out of curiosity, checked the 'who's online to find the below. And no, I have not logged out of the forum and back in.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 17-13-42 Plusnet Community.png

John
jab1
Legend

@NickBS - why have Khorus decided to foul-up a working forum?

John