cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum "Nothing, or nothing you can see..."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forum "Nothing, or nothing you can see..."

Has anyone else noticed that recently when looking to see who is doing what on this forum,
that many of the 'actions' now say -
        "Nothing, or nothing you can see..."
I'm sure this didn't used to happen, and only appeared when a moderator was performing some admin task,
but now it is not unusual to see the words associated with ordinary members forum usage.
So what has changed, what does this 'action' mean, and why does it now occur so frequently ?
See attached screenshot -
11 REPLIES 11
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Forum "Nothing, or nothing you can see..."

Never seen it before
That said I am seeing it now
Maybe a result of
Community site maintenance 15/04
This forum is so outdated & it is about time PN / either fixed it once & for all
Or
Import the data into a new forum
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I wondered if it was somebody viewing their Profile
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unlikely, as at worst I have seen around two thirds of all actions say this at the same time.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Looking at the latest listing I don't see any but I have another thought - nobody is shown as viewing messages
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: TORPC
This forum is so outdated & it is about time PN / either fixed it once & for all

Does your fiddle only play one tune?
The forum is adequate for its purpose.  There refreshes you've noted elsewhere are arguably little more than fashion / appearance.  What is here largely works fine.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TORPC
Grafter

You omitted
Quote from: TORPC
<snip>
Or
Import the data into a new forum
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@TORPC
If you check the current status of the Poll on this topic,  you should be able to gauge the torrent of interest being shown?
Yes, the forums could do with a cosmetic refresh and yes, there are a number of problems that need resolution - but mostly it is fine as it is.  Changing to another forum platform is unlikely to resolve the underlying technical support issues. 
Could I suggest you find another windmill to tilt at?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Maurice,
Sound guidance.  A perspective of what we have now with other free-standing forums and seeing what they have to offer is one thing.
Replacing what we have now, which includes integration with PN's CMS, migrating the existing user base and forum content is quite another.  What we have is largely not broken. The failures we see are not i suspect down to the forum software itself, but rather the networking structure within which it runs.  Load balances in front of web-services can be a pain in the neck.  I know (I've seen it) that the forum software does prevent duplicate postings, thus when they do occur, I conclude that something external to the forum software is making it think the duplicates are from different sources.
Windmills do not need to be found, let alone be tilted at... Though I understand your sentiment - 15+ posts a day makes OldJim sound silent and not even the 3 DCT Chris' added together have as much to say!

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

To return to topic, especially as there are other topics dealing with forum performance, I suspect the answer to the op may simply be hidden forums.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Good spot
The members where nothing or nothing you can see is reported are on the TV Trial and have permissions to see that board
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I thought they might be moderators lurking in their won hidden section Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.