Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Rules re Quotes doesn't quite work

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Forum Rules re Quotes doesn't quite work

Going back to the link in the opening post https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Hardwiring-in-another-room/m-p/1458431#M62395

Perhaps @Anonymous can comment

This is what I see

2017-07-17_205109.jpg

Mav
Fixes: 515

@jelv

Ironically I have removed it for the very reason that @MauriceC mentions.

We are looking at how we can cover this within the rules.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's no 13 for me too but is the first on a new page - I'd reduced the number per page a little for when I am using my laptop away from home via mobile dongle (£5 for 500MB PAYG from iDMobile).

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It's unworkable - there are only two solutions:

1. Remove the ability of users to change the number of posts per page and set everyone's back to the default.
  2. Remove that part of the rule. As has been pointed out it is easy for someone to go back a page.

There is another possibility - delete the exception for the first post on the page and the moderators replace ALL full quotes of the preceding post with "Re post #12" - or "Re preceding post" .

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

See post #7  Evil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav

@jelv

Why would we need to add anything else when the mod note left already explains which post it related to - the previous oneWink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Fair point.

It's a shame that we don't have something like the thinkbroadband forums where in the headings of EVERY reply you have a clickable link to the post being replied to with the previous author's name:

tbb previous post.png

Mav

I have to say that in 15 months of this forum being active this is the first time I am aware of any complaints so do wonder how big an issue it really is?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@jelv wrote:

Fair point.

It's a shame that we don't have something like the thinkbroadband forums where in the headings of EVERY reply you have a clickable link to the post being replied to with the previous author's name:

Far, far to radical for Lithium. 

Enough energy on this already.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oldjim - The reason I quoted the previous post with my reply, knowing it wasn't the last one on the page was to give it context in the event of the original post being modified, or my post could end up looking random. Once I'd posted it I realised that the odds were that it would get swooped on, and sure enough it did.

But this raises a case of pedantry. I used the quote button to do the insertion but what if I did this?

VileReynard wrote:

I used a 12" drill bit for the brick wall.

Followed by my response. I may be quoting all of the text but I'm not using the Quote button to do so, so where does this leave the rules?

Mav

It's still a full quoteWink

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Sounds simple to me...
Do not quote the whole of the previous post - irrespective of individual perceptions of page breaks.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Has any conclusion been reached on this?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I can see it from both sides.

Sometimes you don't always know if your post will be on the next page (someone could get in just before you do), and then you have to reach the next page to see what you're referring to. Then again someone could quote a massive post which is a problem.

Also, please don't encourage PlusNet to use the awful ADSL Guide forum software. If they did it would remove complaints as no-one would manage to be able to use it. Oops, I shouldn't give them ideas Smiley

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

@Alex - I am guessing you are referring to the 'indented replies to each post' type of content some forums? Don't worry, we will not be going in that direction, I will make sure of that Wink

As of a conclusion, I don't think a decision has been made about this as the posts per page is set to a users own preferences and not a global settings applied to everyone. So what you can see might not be the same as some others due to changing of settings. Maybe we could look into updating the rules surrounding quoting based on this.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.