cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Header "Started by"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forum Header "Started by"

There are some long running threads in these fora and I think it would be good if the "Started by" column also contained the date the thread was started. Maybe done in a manner similar to the Last Post column:
Started By
Mook
12 Days ago.
or
Started By
Mook
on dd/mm/yyyy
This could even be optional and only applied after X days for example. Just a thought.
11 REPLIES 11
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Forum Header "Started by"

I doubt it can be changed as it's probably built in to the Forum Software. You may get some info from the SMF site. Just in case you are wondering, it has been raised before, updating the forum software is not a straightforward a job as you may think because of the back-end interfaces, notably your Plusnet account.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've had a poke around and can't see any option for this in the forum software, sorry!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would certainly think it could be changed but I'm no expert, I had thought it would be a 'simple' case of adding it to the PHP template file that drives the content. Looking at the Topic Summary as I type I see "Posted on:" followed by the date I made the original post. So that must be persisted and made available via SQL request. It was only a suggestion after all.
Anotherone
Champion

Powered by SMF | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to sure what you mean by that, as I can see that for myself at the bottom of a page.
Anotherone
Champion

It means the Forum Software comes as a package from SMF. The Code is not written by Plusnet!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yes I know that, but they do have the source code to it on their server, and as it says on the site it's highly customisable. As far as I can see there should be nothing stopping any one with an editor (and the appropriate permissions) making the change. Just so you know I'm not starting a bun fight, only saying as I see it.
Anotherone
Champion

I understand that, but because of the latter comment in reply #1, Plusnet are highly unlikely to want to go messing with/customising the code, as simple as it may seem. They have resisted upgrades previously for these reasons. And such customisation might create compatibility issues when an upgrade is actually implemented.
I'm just mentioning things that have been thrown around previously  Sad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough but I thought it was worth mentioning, you never know. I have mentioned this before but the software is ancient which to me is worrying, but I'm not going down that road again.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

It may be old.  But it is still good and stable.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it's not as simple as I'd first thought, little did I know! It would require modifying MessageIndex.template.php and maybe the SQL loaders needed to populate the global $txt var array. Anyway, as I said I did think it a good idea (at the time).