cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI - someone, not myself, used the "Password Reminder" for this Community site

Pod
Grafter
Posts: 30
Registered: 26-04-2008

FYI - someone, not myself, used the "Password Reminder" for this Community site

FYI - someone, not myself, used the "Password Reminder" for this Community site - for my UserName "Pod".
My inbox has recently received an email:
Quote
Dear Pod,
This mail was sent because the 'forgot password' function has been
applied to your account. To set a new password click the following link:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=reminder;sa=setpassword;u=UUUU;code=CCCCCCCCCCCCCC
IP: 87.194.101.169
Username: Pod
Regards,
The Forum Team.
(certain parameters obfuscated for safety)
So, in case this is a mischievous or malevolent miscreant trying to gain accounts, just thought you folks might like to know.
(If you want the entire email, including headers, let me know, preferably via official email, please)
cheers, P.
p.s. the WhoIS for the IP address (87.194.101.169) provides:
Quote
Whois Record
inetnum:        87.194.100.0 - 87.194.103.255
netname:        AVATAR-GB
descr:          Manchester central region residential static 2 service
country:        GB
admin-c:        SA2734-RIPE
tech-c:         SA2734-RIPE
status:         ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by:         MNT-AVATAR
source:         RIPE # Filtered
remarks:        Please do not send the abuse complaints to the contact listed
remarks:        Please send abuse complaints to
person:         Shyam Acharya
address:        62, Lancaster Mews
address:        London  W2 3QG
phone:          +44 (0)20 7479 5003
e-mail:         
nic-hdl:        SA2734-RIPE
source:         RIPE # Filtered
route:          87.194.0.0/16
descr:          Avatar Broadband Networks
origin:         AS35228
mnt-by:         MNT-AVATAR
source:         RIPE # Filtered
route:          87.194.0.0/17
descr:          For services in London,birmingham,manchester
origin:         AS35228
mnt-by:         MNT-AVATAR
source:         RIPE # Filtered
route:          87.194.64.0/18
descr:          Entire New block for BeUnlimited
origin:         AS35228
mnt-by:         MNT-AVATAR
source:         RIPE # Filtered
route:          87.194.96.0/19
descr:          Entire New block for BeUnlimited
origin:         AS35228
mnt-by:         MNT-AVATAR
source:         RIPE # Filtered
4 REPLIES
pd
Grafter
Posts: 235
Registered: 09-05-2008

Re: FYI - someone, not myself, used the "Password Reminder" for this Community site

87.194.101.169 resolves to "87-194-101-169.bethere.co.uk"
Pod
Grafter
Posts: 30
Registered: 26-04-2008

Re: FYI - someone, not myself, used the "Password Reminder" for this Community site

Quote from: pd
87.194.101.169 resolves to "87-194-101-169.bethere.co.uk"
Whilst true, this isn't especially relevant, though 
Why, well just imagine if I were to misbehave, you'd contact in the first instance Plus.Net (and they'd then 'have words' with me) - in this case, we'd like Plus.Net to contact BeUnlimited and 'have words' with the user of the IP address quoted, following current best practice the WhoIs provides the contact details for the IP allocation in question, hence why it was quoted.
Many thanks  for your kind help, I suspect it's down to whether Plus.Net consider it significant enough to act upon, though Undecided
Community Veteran
Posts: 1,264
Registered: 04-04-2007

Re: FYI - someone, not myself, used the "Password Reminder" for this Community site

Quote from: Pod
Many thanks  for your kind help, I suspect it's down to whether Plus.Net consider it significant enough to act upon, though Undecided

I wouldn't have thought it would be worth our while contacting them, unless they had tried all 9000+ member usernames. If it's one specific instance, I suspect the abuse department is unlikely to do anything, anyway.
Personally, I am a member of a number of forums and often get these sorts of emails where people have tried asking for a password reset email. I suspect over the years, I've caused quite a few of these myself if one of my usual usernames has been in use and I've tried the password recovery to see if it was me that had actually registered it.
I'll send you an email when I get in to the office for you to forward me the headers though and I'll have a quick check in to the logs on the server and see if there's anything suspicious.
Colin
Pod
Grafter
Posts: 30
Registered: 26-04-2008

Re: FYI - someone, not myself, used the "Password Reminder" for this Community site

Hello Colin,
You have email  Smiley
Quote from: Colin
I wouldn't have thought it would be worth our while contacting them, unless they had tried all 9000+ member usernames. If it's one specific instance, I suspect the abuse department is unlikely to do anything, anyway.
Personally, I am a member of a number of forums and often get these sorts of emails where people have tried asking for a password reset email. I suspect over the years, I've caused quite a few of these myself if one of my usual usernames has been in use and I've tried the password recovery to see if it was me that had actually registered it.
I'll send you an email when I get in to the office for you to forward me the headers though and I'll have a quick check in to the logs on the server and see if there's anything suspicious.
Colin
Agreed - many thanks for your response, I've sent a copy to you in reply to your email.
Merry Christmas!
73&88 de P.