Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do forum rules need greater prominence?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do forum rules need greater prominence?

I've noticed on several occasions that when users have transgressed forum rules they have not been aware of the existence of the rules. It is only if a visitor goes to the Community Support forum and notices the New  General: Forum Rules In Depth sticky topic that they become aware of them.
I would like to suggest two changes to make sure all current and new users are aware of the existence of the rules:
1. Link on every page
I suggest that somewhere at the top of every page of the forums, such as flush right on the current path line (Home » Forum » Products and Services Discussion » Community Support) there should be a Forum Rules link.
2. Redirect new users to rules
There is a modification available for SMF forums called Redirect your users after they register at your forum. The description of this mod begins: This mod will allow you to redirect your users to an url of your choosing after they register at your forum. Only for that first time. The url can be an internal one, i.e. to the rules section of your forum or at the Introduction area. If this was implemented it should mean that all users were made aware if the forums rules from the beginning and not on the first occasion they did something wrong and were pointed to the rules by a moderator or another user.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
10 REPLIES 10
techguy
Grafter

Re: Do forum rules need greater prominence?

I would agree that new users need to be directed to the rules.
When I started I accidentally broke the rule on use of quotes several times as was unaware, I was eventually notified by pierre.
Think the rules need to be automatically displayed to new users and redisplayed when rules change  so that the user has to reconfirm their agreeement
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think the order of the rules should be reviewed. The Quotes rule should be moved up the page and grouped with Crossposting, Posting in the wrong place, All CAPS, Off topic etc. Some similar 'groupings' could be done with some of the other rules.
New users should be redirected.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Mrs Chilly, has just pointed that there is already a link to the rules on every page.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Oh yes, so there is. Just needs moving into this row then:
    Forum  Search  Calendar  Profile  My Messages    Unread Posts    Replies to your Posts    Forum Rules
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Will Mrs Chilly be applying for one of the Moderator vacancies and if not why not. Smiley
One or two forums I have joined recently require you to tick an 'I have read the rules' box before proceeding. The trouble is you don't have to have actually read the rules. Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: chillypenguin
Mrs Chilly, has just pointed that there is already a link to the rules on every page.

I think that it took so long for someone to point out that the link was there proves that they need greater prominence.
Interesting that so far 86.7% of the votes think that new users should be redirected to the rules.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you cant even read your own poll jelve its 47%  out of asdgasdgvj  people Undecided Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Oh dear!
Option 1: Link on every page and redirect new users to rules
Option 3: Redirect new users to rules only
I added the two together as both groups think new users should be redirected to the rules.
God
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I've noticed on several occasions that when users have transgressed forum rules they have not been aware of the existence of the rules. It is only if a visitor goes to the Community Support forum and notices the New  General: Forum Rules In Depth sticky topic that they become aware of them.
I would like to suggest two changes to make sure all current and new users are aware of the existence of the rules:
1. Link on every page
I suggest that somewhere at the top of every page of the forums, such as flush right on the current path line (Home » Forum » Products and Services Discussion » Community Support) there should be a Forum Rules link.
2. Redirect new users to rules
There is a modification available for SMF forums called Redirect your users after they register at your forum. The description of this mod begins: This mod will allow you to redirect your users to an url of your choosing after they register at your forum. Only for that first time. The url can be an internal one, i.e. to the rules section of your forum or at the Introduction area. If this was implemented it should mean that all users were made aware if the forums rules from the beginning and not on the first occasion they did something wrong and were pointed to the rules by a moderator or another user.

You are working under the assumption that if folks know the rules exist (and where they are) they will read them. I doubt this is true in the majority of cases, many people don’t bother reading the manuals to relatively complex technological items or software packages, so I don’t believe more links will help. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.
Most of the rules are common sense, and where they are not or have been forgotten by the user they will still need reminding of the rule or pointing at the rules to refresh their memory or read for the first time! There is no way to ‘make’ folks read the rules if they choose not to.
Spider
Grafter

After much careful consideration I think we should only have one rule....
DO NOT cause offense!
This rule covers all the bases and allows the Moderators to be flexible in their responses to post. It is also small enough to feature on every page without having to provide links and further reading. If no offense is caused.... no problem. A radical change I know, but how many people can actually say they have read every rule and all amendments before posting on this forum? Note I said before posting.... not after.