cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion of a separate Board for Fibre Products

Pazz
Grafter

Discussion of a separate Board for Fibre Products

How come the 80/20 forum sub-section has disappeared? There was some good information in there about the 80/20 service in general.
I, like many other 80/20 trialists have been at the mercy of my billing cycle in upgrading to the new 80/20 250GB usage package. I beleive my billing cycle is 15th of the month so I've got a good full month to wait.
A bit dissapointing to say one of the quotes from PN staff was that upon the 80/20 service being available we would be transferred on to that if we wanted. There was no mention of "On your next billing cycle".
jim:green Title changed to reflect the split off subject mod:end
10 REPLIES 10
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Launch of new Plusnet Fibre Products - 80/20 and 250GB usage allowance

Quote from: Pazz
How come the 80/20 forum sub-section has disappeared? There was some good information in there about the 80/20 service in general.

Nothing has disappeared to my knowledge. The 80/20 trial thread is still here (but effectively closed)
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102776.0.html
A bit dissapointing to say one of the quotes from PN staff was that upon the 80/20 service being available we would be transferred on to that if we wanted. There was no mention of "On your next billing cycle".

But you're still on 80/20 so I don't see what the problem is. Product changes have always happened at the next billing date.
Pazz
Grafter

Good find KevinG, however I notice the parent section has been renamed to "Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)". Beforehand it was just "Fibre Trials".
It's still an 80/20 connection but without the £1.49 saving or the additional usage. It's not a big issue to me but perhaps to others it might be.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yup - at Plusnet request to match the "new" limited scope and to try to limit the posts about 80/20 FTTC to the main Broadband Board
Pazz
Grafter

So every post about "broadband" should now be raised in that area? Given the volume of posts, I would think a degree of segregation would be useful..
jim:quote
KevinG
Rising Star

Good find KevinG, however I notice the parent section has been renamed to "Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)". Beforehand it was just "Fibre Trials".

You're right, previously only the description only mentioned FTTP, not the forum name, but as there are no open FTTC trials I guess it makes sense.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So every post about "broadband" should now be raised in that area? Given the volume of posts, I would think a degree of segregation would be useful..
I think that was discussed when we last had a Forum revamp but, given the small number of fibre customers at that time it wasn't considered appropriate.
Note that the previous board was in the Trials Scetion and FTTC is no longer a trial in any way so it couldn't stay there.
The basic question - to which I don't know the answer yet - is whether the posts about problems with fibre are largely broadband generic or predominantly fibre specific and also how many there are.
Should the staff find that segregation of the two products beneficial for their support they will request the addition of a separate board.
However the prevailing opinion is that we want to restrict the number of boards - note that sub boards are no longer an option
I have moved these few posts into the Community Site Section for separate discussion
KevinG
Rising Star

Re: Discussion of a separate Board for Fibre Products

I think the separation of the "Broadband and Routers" forum into separate ADSL and Fibre forums would be beneficial for everyone.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

From a staff point of view it probably makes little difference whether ADSL and FTTC related topics are in a single forum or separate since they are likely to check the poster's account which gives that information. However in my opinion separating them would help users trying to learn, seek help and benefit from the experiences of others, and those members providing such information.
My preference is for separate boards though positioned next to each other, with ADSL or FTTC added to board titles.
David
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: spraxyt
My preference is for separate boards though positioned next to each other, with ADSL or FTTC added to board titles.

"Fibre" would be preferable to "FTTC" unless you want a separate FTTP section as well.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

My own opinion on this:
Personally I think there are more differences between FTTC and FTTP than between ADSL and FTTC.
Currently FTTP is very much a 'minority' thing (and 'trial only' if I understand correctly).
I support the view of separating the 'different technologies' so I'd like to see ADSL and FTTC on separate boards (and FTTP also separate once it goes beyond trial status), this may help to avoid some misunderstandings due to the different technologies involved.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.