cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion Thread for new Community Forum Structure

Not applicable

Re: Discussion Thread for new Community Forum Structure

Is this moving forward? It has all gone rather quiet - would love to have a simplified forum structure and more smilies.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82378.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Progress has most definitely been made. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Since I stirred it?
Not applicable

Progress has most definitely been made

Can you enlighten us on the progress so far please?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I believe it is in the hands of the Gods ATM. Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero

This topic was started on 20th April last year.
Here's a challenge to Plusnet and the moderators: get it done and dusted before the anniversary.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Do we win a prize?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Blue footed booby
Not applicable

Three months seems quite reasonable to me. The forum at the moment is over complicated so a reorganisation might make it easier for all of us.
Seems to me that the mods have more than enough knowledge and experience to make a good job of it. After all, they are the ones who are around
the most.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There are three factors - which may not be entirely compatible
for the mods - keeping things in line and in the right place
for the users - knowing where to post things and where to look for items of interest
for the staff - being able to pick up Plusnet related problems quickly and easily from the general problems caused by other factors
Of the three the last is probably the most important as it will ensure that posters Plusnet related problems are addressed quickly. This is why the staff input is very important and we need to have them onside with any changes.
Notwithstanding the above we all agree that the structure needs to be simpler and more intuitive and we hope that the latest iteration will go a long way to giving us that. With any luck a draft mock-up will be posted soon for wider user comment.
Lurker
Grafter

Given that the current format is agreed to be the most complicated that its ever been, and also considering that the current format was based upon PN recommendations - is it sensible to include PN again? Tongue
Oldjim
Resting Legend

YES
Be3G
Grafter

To be fair, the discussions about the revised structure have been led by the moderators anyway; Plusnet have simply been asked for their input – and sometimes we've agreed on making a change based on that, whilst at other times we haven't. There is however the hurdle of getting Plusnet to ‘approve’ the new plan; as James G alluded to here Plusnet have assumed considerably more control than in the days of yore so ultimately whatever they say will have to go, to mangle a modern idiom. (Which also applies to timescales, hence the large delay in anything happening – although I must say that Matt who's now taken responsibility for seeing this through does seem committed.) We'll see what happens anyway.
What I can tell you though is that I personally am very pleased with the plan we have come up with. When I rejoined the ranks of moderator I made it a kind of personal aim to generally oversee this reorganisation; to push it through as quickly as possible (so much for that) and to make it as successful as possible. I've been using/moderating/admin-ing forums for years so had a good long hard think about what we could learn from that, and the other moderators have spent a lot of time discussing those ideas, offering their own ideas, and generally honing the structure to reach something that I think (hope!) you'll all be rather pleased with. Smiley
Not applicable

Of course PN have the final say - can't argue with that. However, hope that they aren't too dictatorial and listen carefully to user opinions.
After all, as has has been alluded to, this structure is overly complicated and was PN-led.
I for one hope that the new simplified forum comes along sooner than later, preferably without all these sub (or child) forums.