Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion Thread for new Community Forum Structure

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Discussion Thread for new Community Forum Structure

Is the existing service status email list going to be brought across or will we have to re-subscribe? (I realise that those of us that use the Service Status RSS feed will have to reconfigure).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Why is Referrers been scrapped & Archived?  PlusNet is supposed to be promoting Referrers, not scrapping Referrers, this is not good!  Angry
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's working - so why change it?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

Gary,
We're not scrapping referrals.
I'm not sure if you've managed to get yourself confused or not, but we're talking about the layout of forums.  given how quiet the referrals forum is, I don't see why the posts couldn't go into a "community support" equivalent.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Jameseh, No I am not geting confused, I am on about the forum!
[Edit]
Jameseh poted at the sam time as I was editing my post
James
Grafter

In which case I don't think it's an issue, Gary.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Jameseh wrote: "I don't see why the posts couldn't go into a "community support" equivalent."
It wouldn't work!
James
Grafter

Of course it will.  You're of the mentality that we need a different forum for literally everything.
Which is part of the reason why we have the confusion which we do now.  We need to be far more simplistic and also have a look at the design to try and avoid people having to scroll down a mile to find the right forum.
You have little faith!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Gary,
You only have to look at the number of "Topic moved" actions we see made by the moderators to understand what is wrong with the current layout.

One thing which is not being suggested is to used child forums, but prevent people posting in the parent itself. That way you wouldn't ever have to scroll past the list of child forums to see the posts in the parent. Was that idea ever considered?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes but I don't know if Roger included it nor to what extent.
James
Grafter

Yeah, we've spoken about this privately with the moderators.
Bob isn't a fan because then you just have to scroll down after clicking on the parent forum in the first place.  My initial suggestion kept the majority of the boards but fewer parent forums with an increase number of child forums.
I see Bob's point and think that the initial goal has to be to reduce the number of boards and find a sensible theme (whilst maintaining the Plusnet colour scheme) which makes finding the correct place to post easier.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Jameseh
Bob isn't a fan because then you just have to scroll down after clicking on the parent forum in the first place.

Could you explain this please. Clicking as shown in the first screen shot takes you straight to the second - why the need to scroll down?
Child forums is the best way to shorten the main index page!
Saturn
Grafter

Well, for what it's worth, here's my 2p.
Seven years ago when I first joined PN the forums were simple, maybe a handful.  It was easy to post and much of the discussion was productive.  After a couple of years it became vogue for people to get really worked up about being off topic, off subject and off forum.  The moderators wielded bigger sticks and it became harder to make a point without someone getting upset.  The number of forums increased and it became less obvious which forum was right for any particular subject not exactly matching the forum selection.  People got even more worked up and, for me, the forums became too much like hard work.  I therefore stopped visiting them.
A few months ago I had a problem and thought I might give the forums a go again as support would not accept there was a problem.  When I looked there were even more forums, child forums, sub-forums and nothing matching my problem area.  I therefore gave up again.  This problem has been reoccurring (vpn just stops working for some days/a week or two and then starts working again) for some time so today I thought I might try the forums again. Would you believe it - it's even worse!
Clearly there's something wrong with the structure of the forums otherwise there wouldn't be the post soliciting opinion. Well, for what it's worth, can I suggest someone considers the likely reaction of someone wishing to post and being faced with a wall of different forums.  If it takes a lot of time to decide the right forum, but there's a risk of being wrong, being sent a stroppy reply, not actually attracting the attention of someone who can comment sensibly on your post, then you are probably wasting your time.  The net result is the forums don't actually achieve what they were originally set up to do (help PN members) and they become nothing more than a talking shop for only the few who have time/tenacity to persist.  In short, my vote is to strip out the plethora of categories and have just a few with one that gets good service from PN staff.  If there's worry about having too many subjects within a single forum then strengthen the search capabilities, but above all give PN members a change to post without needing a degree in obscurity.
Oh, and it would be good to encourge posters to keep it brief  Wink
Not applicable

Thanks for dragging this back up the agenda Saturn. I have the 'time/tenacity' to persist (and the interest) but still miss things because it is such a pain trawling through the site (and yes, I do use RSS).
PN are not alone in this by any means. I earnestly wish that the whole thing could be simplified. The old F9 forum, which of course was nowhere near as busy as this one, seemed to have a better and more understandable layout.
Whilst realising the pressure of time on people, it would be a good use of it as navigation would then be much easier - a bit like cleaning a cupboard really.
Lurker
Grafter

I just use 'unread posts' like many others do - so we don't perhaps always see how many boards there are!
Of course, this begs the question; if 'unread posts' works for so many of us, showing all posts as if they were a single forum, why not just have a single forum?
Of course, we'd need the 'search' facility to work so we could find older stuff too...