cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross-posting

decomplexity
Rising Star

Cross-posting

I recently has one of my posts deleted as it apparently contravened the "no cross-posting" forum rule.
The 'cross-post' was, however, exactly that: not a duplicate of the text of the original post but a hyperlink cross reference to the original post which was posted because the subject spanned more than one topic area.

In the forum rules, cross posting is defined as a duplicate post  -  something which is rightly banned as replies become fragmented across forum topic areas.
I would suggest that 'cross reference' cross-posting is both legitimate and sometimes necessary. it is also a widely accepted good practice elsewhere (i.e on non PN forums). 
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
3 REPLIES 3
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Cross-posting

I find cross thread referencing very useful as do the Comms team Smiley but I don't know the circumstances of this particular incident. Lips_are_sealed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
decomplexity
Rising Star

The relevant Forum rule states:
"Cross Posting
We do not allow 'cross posting' where a user posts the same text in more than one forum. This wastes resources as forum users have to read posts twice. It also causes confusion to the original poster as they may well find that replies are disjointed over 2 or more threads."
Perhaps the wording should be changed to ban 'duplicate posting' but to state that cross posting (in the 'cross reference' sense that is understood in other forums) is explicitly permitted.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
geewizz
Grafter

"This wastes resources as forum users have to read posts twice"
Fantastic! This rule just needs a rider about carbon footprints to perfect it.