Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Terminology "Fix" vs "Accepted Solution"

FIXED
Claudius
Hooked

Community Terminology "Fix" vs "Accepted Solution"

Throughout most of the community UI the term "Fix" is used for topics that include a reply that was accepted as solution. There's just one exception: The actual solved message in a topic is still titled "Accepted Solution"

AS_Termino9logy.png

Would be good to see the terminology there aligned for consistency as well.

11 REPLIES 11
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Community Terminology "Fix" vs "Accepted Solution"

Hi @Claudius, welcome to the community!

The default in this system is 'accepted solution' but it was requested that the term 'fix' was used in various places so I had gone through and replaced the 100 or so instances of this. In this case, we didn't know what to change it to as 'accepted fix' didn't sound right and the term 'accepted solution' was agreed to stay as it was. We had a lengthy discussion about this with our test users (which are some of our super users here) before going live and we settled with what we have now.

We are open to suggestions to discuss this though.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Claudius
Hooked

How about a hybrid "Accepted Fix"? This would stay in line with the "This fixed my problem" language on the acceptance button.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83 wrote:

Hi @Claudius, welcome to the community!

... In this case, we didn't know what to change it to as 'accepted fix' didn't sound right and the term 'accepted solution' was agreed to stay as it was. ...

@Claudius - As you can see this has already been discussed, but for what it's worth I agree with you "Accepted Fix" does both work an sound better.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Of all of the minor issues that have already been identified as needing a 'fix',  this problem for me is in a mañana category. Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MauriceC - I was trying to think of a witty reply to your post, so I'll give it some thought and get back to you in a few days or so.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

With Lithium on the case even mañana is optimistic?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I think I know what this all stemmed from in the first place. We used to have the 'accepted solutions' collected at the top of the thread and there was also the ability to have multiple solutions. There was an issue with pluralising the word as 'Accepted fix' and 'Accepted fixes' so we had stuck with 'Accepted solution' which would pluralise as per the standard way the system works. Since then we have disabled multiple fixes and placed the fix in the normal flow of posts. With this too was the removal of the banner (a side effect of placing the fix within the flow) which has been reinserted using jQuery.

Because things have moved on since (and I apologise for this over sight) I have updated the staging environment to be better fitted with what we had originally wanted to do and have the text as 'Accepted fix'. Here is a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 10.39.05.png

This will get put live as soon as I get the go ahead about the 'marking categories/boards as read from the unread page' change that I did.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83 wrote:

There was an issue with pluralising the word as 'Accepted fix' and 'Accepted fixes' so we had stuck with 'Accepted solution' which would pluralise as per the standard way the system works.

JavaScript Ternary Operator to the rescue here. Wink

“Accepted Fix" + (fixCount > 1 ? “es” : "") ;

Out of curiosity why did you disable the multi fix? There's bound to have been posts where that would have been useful.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Anonymous, the multiple fix was removed because there was a lengthy discussion about the merits of having multiple solutions for any single issue. There was a lot of users for and against it but after discussing it we decided to stick with 'the best solution' as the fix and if anyone wanted to challenge that, they could report it and it will be looked into by staff to determine whether the accepted solution was correct or if another post was better suited.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

In other news, I have updated the text to say 'Accepted fix'. This is now live.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @jaread83, makes perfect sense to me. Thumbs_Up