cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of Forum Rules

Spider
Grafter

Change of Forum Rules

I would like to see the following rule amended to allow Plusnet group members to be allowed to post in their native language if they so wish. This could be implemented in a special language forum or preferably within the existing forum structure.
Forum Language
The official language to be used with all postings on these forums is English. Except in the dedicated Polish language forum.

I realise this will mean more work for the moderators, especially ensuring that the posts comply with the other forum rules.
Thank you Roger for the inspiration for this suggestion.
[quote=rogerloxton]On the other hand, we also have a group that are pro integration of another language, and see no problem with what is being done.
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Change of Forum Rules

If a post was made in Bulgarian, Russian, Turkish or any other obscure language which advertised a dubious website, offered some products of the type we have seen flooding our mailboxes or contained profanities, how would you know? (how would you even know which language it was in?)
Given human nature these days that is a practicality that has to be considered - how the forum would be moderated? It's a shame because having a forum where someone could post asking for help in any language would be a good idea. Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

Does PN provide the resources? According to this post it's done by an employee in their own time. So if other languages are requested cannot the community supply a moderator in that language? 
itsme
Grafter

Must of miss that as I can see PN saying that in this thread Where and when have PN said they will support other languages?
hulls
Grafter

I'm bored with this subject now.  I didn't bother to keep replying in the other thread, as I didn't have much to add, but trying to resurrect a closed thread like this seems pointless.
The fact is that Plusnet has some staff who are fluent in Polish, so can keep an eye on that forum.
If they had staff who were fluent in another language and were willing to give their time to manage a forum in that language, presumably Plusnet would at least give it consideration.
They don't.
I don't lose anything by there being a Polish forum here, and some people can gain by it.  No-one loses.
End of story - give it up.
Please note, I am neither a moderator, nor a bright spark, nor am I ever likely to be.
John
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
Please note, I am neither a moderator, nor a bright spark, nor am I ever likely to be.

Neither am I. As to the other points this is not about the current languages (English & Polish) nor about resurrecting another thread, but about adding additional languages such as Welsh, etc.
I do not believe the moderators should be Plusnet staff (whether it is in their own time or not) and I feel that this particular forum rule should be applied equally to all forums, but that is off topic.
hulls
Grafter

Fair point, but the same thing applies.  A Welsh language forum for example may be nice for Welsh users, but:

• It would need Welsh speakers willing to give up their time to manage / moderate it, and

• It wouldn't add much to Welsh customers, who are all fluent English speakers as well (unless I'm wrong about that :))

Now, regional dialects might be an interesting addition  Wink
I'd be willing to pass the time of day with any other Belfast born members.  Just think of the craic we could have discussing a wee plate o' champ, followed by a bowl o' whillicks.  Them boyos would never hai a cloo. Grin
John
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
It wouldn't add much to Welsh customers, who are all fluent English speakers as well (unless I'm wrong about that :))

In some areas of Wales, English is the 2nd language so as such Welsh should be given as much consideration as any other countries language.
The other point that naturally links with this is that Plusnet offer a service in Wales and therefore should they not support the language of that country? Once again I am straying from my original idea.
Moderation as now been mentioned several times and I feel that the limiting factor for my suggestion is moderators that can understand the approved forum languages. I do not believe that Moderators should be co-opted for their language skills, but feel it is a plus point for any voting for new members.
samuria
Grafter

The forums are used by normal people who try to help other users as a community gesture if some post in Russian no one would know what that person wanted so there would be no point in them posting it in the first place.
The same applies to any other language if these people cant speak English then they could use online translator to convert it to english.
The point of living in england is you learn to speak English so you can integrate. If I move to Italy I wouldnt expect all the people over there to learn english just to help me.