cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't login - cookie settings??

BRABUS
Grafter

Can't login - cookie settings??

I have just tried logging in to this forum via another laptop that I have just rebuilt as a standard windows XP Pro.
Each time I type my username and password in I get a message saying "You were unable to login.  Please check your cookie settings"
I have just tested logging into other forums that I use and none of them have had any issue and have let me in with no problems.

Can someone please give me a clue where to start.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can't login - cookie settings??

Try logging out first from your normal computer.
I suspect that it won't allow two logins at the same time even though the first computer isn't connected
BRABUS
Grafter

The xp machine is my normal laptop.  I just rebuilt it with a bigger disk.  I am now logged onto my work laptop just to post so its not a case of being logge onto 2 machines at once.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you tried a different browser
BRABUS
Grafter

No as I like IE
pierre_pierre
Grafter

reading your earlier posts,  is it just the Forum?  as I have three machines, desktop Win7, netbook win7 and netbook XP,  I have the all three on at this moment, no problem.
or did you mean you cant get on the internet with the XP
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

ote]
I'd advise to try another one anyway. Firefox or Chrome are both quick and easy to install and remove afterwards.
Also I'm assuming you've tried the basics like deleting the cache of cookies on that machine.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BRABUS
Grafter

I seem to be able to browse any other site with no issues and also to log onto other forums with no issues.  The other forums even remember me if I shut reboot the pc.  I have cleared the cache of cookies.  I have even run the Microsoft FixIT script to reset IE to its default perametrs, not that I had changed anything but thought it was worth a try.  Its is odd how I am just struggling with Plus Net and only on this machine.
I think I will just flatten it again tonight and rebuild it unless anyone comes up with any other suggestions.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BRABUS,
Could there be anything in your cookie settings preventing the login? If you open tools -> Internet Options and go to the privacy tab, then hit the 'sites' button there may be some URLs listed there, or if not there then in the box that appears when hitting the 'advanced' button?
BRABUS
Grafter

Hi Matt, I have already checked these areas out.  As it is a fresh install there shouldn't have been any issues at all so thats what has me so puzzled.
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Very much a stab in the dark. Not sure whether the community forum here uses cookies with expiration dates? But is there any possibility that you haven't yet set the correct date and time on the computer you're rebuilding...so that the cookie is effectively killed at birth?
BRABUS
Grafter

caulbox - your aim is perfect even in the dark  Cool Cool  Thank you soooo much.  The date is ahead by 24 hours so it thought it was Wednesday and not Tuesday.

Never mind, I have enjoyed the last 5 hours of installing the OS and the anti virus and all of the microsoft patches  Grin  The wife is away at her parents so I had nothing better to do anyway.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The odd part is that the anti virus should have objected to the wrong date