cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blasted Timeout

BikingBen

Blasted Timeout

I wrote long reply to a forum. When I tried to Post it it said that I wasn't Logged In so put me back to the Loggin page. I assume that I'd gone over this stupid 60minute limit. When I logged in again it had wiped the reply I'd given. And I just can't be ar**d to work out what I said and type it in all over again.
Why does this stupid limit work like this ? It should warn a writer when there's say 10mins to go ? Shouldn't it ?
I'm very anoyed at staying up this late wasting my f time.
5 REPLIES 5
BugsyMalone
Dabbler

Re: Blasted Timeout

You have the option to change the limit to what you want, or to be logged in at all times.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

welcome to the Forum.
Another trick is to copy a posting that fails, then paste it back in later
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Yep - right stupid this implementation.
I kind of thought that this was an "idle" time out.  That is if i did nothing into the sesion for 60 minutes it would (sensibly) log me out - not do it during the construction of a well thought through error checked psot.  May be that explains why so many posting on here are of questionable presentation?
Just how hard would it be to make this a session time out value, rather than a quota - like BT's 60 minute free call timer - just cuts in when the conversation gets interesting?
Regards,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you are composing a post you do that locally on your own computer and the connection remains 'idle' until you attempt to post (and get the bad news). Clicking 'Preview' occasionally will help to keep the connection active.
Alternatively, why not compose the post using Notepad, then when you are ready copy and paste it into a reply box?
David
David
Mand
Grafter

Re:Blasted Timeout

Hi there, and welcome to the forums. Smiley
As has been said, you can remain logged in (this would keep your session active until you clear the cookies), or could compose a long reply elsewhere (such as notepad) and then post it in.
The session timeout is a good thing in terms of security, but can be a little annoying if you've spent a lot of time on a post.