cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance of a delete button

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Any chance of a delete button

well another bright spark did a similar thing recently deleted a large amount of comments and just left a smiley - same bad result, very disjointed threads
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Well, the only real solution is to take draconian measures and remove the edit_own_post rights from all users, thus leaving the Board Moderators the only ones who can edit posts..
Your call  Cool
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not necessarily correct - some forum software allows a limited time edit which would get round most of the problems.
However I don't know if this software has that feature
Checking - SMF supports this
User Not Allowed to Edit Own Post After X Hours
techguy
Grafter

Ever regret starting a thread as I know I regret this one.
Smiley
James
Grafter

Is that permission set by group?
IE: One rule for Mods and one for the lackies?
mal0z
Grafter

I appreciate that mass deletions can cause a problem. But how many times did it happen ?.
But on other forums I've used - I have occasionally used the delete button for many legitimate reasons.
I just got it wrong - or maybe I had had too many glasses of wine etc. Or simply that my post had been irrelevant on reflection.
I think it's a useful function - and maybe worth considering again - if only having it valid for about 24 hours Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?P=be7d59657400d93a75b34be2afcd0a25&topic=16996.0
Applying this modification will superficially disable regular users from modifying their own posts after xx hours. By superficially I mean, it only removes the modify link from their options. This does not effect mods or admins who are allowed to edit posts. I put this together in about 2 minutes so forgive me if there are errors. It seems to work for me so far.

Note - this feature is built in to version 1.1
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: techguy
Ever regret starting a thread as I know I regret this one.

Bet you wish you could delete your post now Grin
Seriously - I see no reason to regret it. It would be nice to have the option to delete your own post (if it was only made x long ago) and edit your own posts, if the forum software supported it.
It would be a shame to see the reckless actions of a minority affect the community forms for everyone else, so I'd be against restricting the edit feature.
Though delete I've not found it a huge problem - I've only ever deleted my own posts where I've made a duplicate.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I thought the delete button was on the top rhs of the main section of the keyboard  Roll_eyes [runs&hides]
Lurker
Grafter

No, that's the backspace button, delete is easy to spot, since it says "delete" on it.
Grin
/That'll learn ya' to try and be smart Tongue
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That only works if your going a**e about face  Tongue
Surprised that wasn't in the word censor.
So there Wink