Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always Logged In

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Always Logged In

Is the PlusNet site the only one where you HAVE TO check a box, to remain logged in for longer than 60 minutes?
What is the point of it? 
If you want to check something out that takes less than 60 minutes, it does not require any permission to do so.... BUT if it took 61 minutes, then you would have to (and often this happens because you forget to check the box) log in again, What a pain in the ......
It seems to be absolutely pointless.... and an extra "chore" that MUST be remembered if you intend to browse the forums, "just in case" you get "involved" in discussions on the forum...
so ... can we dispense with this unnecessary permission to stay logged in for longer than 60 minutes .... if not...................... WHY not ?
23 REPLIES 23
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Always Logged In

Isn't it 60 minutes from your last activity? So if you refreshed any pages of the forums (or did anything else) after about 50 minutes it would be 110 minutes before you were logged out.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What is the disadvantage of selecting "always logged in"
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quite!
The only reason for not using that would be if you were using a shared computer.
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
What is the disadvantage of selecting "always logged in"

OR.... More to the point.....
"What is the advantage of HAVING to gain permission by checking the box, to be "always logged in"...
Just about every other site I have to log in, does not require me to choose.... simply because there is no need to....
If I choose not to continue my session with any site... I log out.    however, with PlusNet... I must consider carefully whether I am likely to need to be logged in for longer than 60 minutes.....
If I choose to be logged in on any other site.... I am "always logged in"... until I log out, or until I shut the browser down...
My question remains.... WHY do I have to check a box to do what I normally do with other sites... ?
Why is there an "arbitrary" time limit ? what is the advantage ? 
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
Quite!
The only reason for not using that would be if you were using a shared computer.

Whether you are on a shared computer or not is absolutely irrelvant....
If you are sharing with someone,. you can still be "always logged in" for less than 60 minutes, as you can still be sharing the computer, for less than 60 minutes....
If you are sharing a computer, you still do not need to have a time limit on any other site... or are you missing the point? 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Lets get this straight - you are asking for Plusnet to make the least secure option the default?
shutter
Community Veteran

Oh, I see now,.... when I log in on other sites, they are insecure because I don`t have the option of only logging in for 60 mins or less.....and if I choose to "always logged in"... then the PlusNet site is insecure....
e.g. if I use my bank site, I don`t get the choice.... so PlusNet thinks it is a site that needs more security than my bank site? If I forget to "log out" on my bank site, it automatically logs me out when I close the browser.....
so I still can`t see the point of having to choose how long the session will be by checking the box or not. it is just an inconvenience left over from the earlier layouts of the site, methinks.....
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

i can think of plenty of other sites, ebay for instance, where you have to select an option to stay logged in for a prolonged period of time.
Others don't even have the option of staying logged in.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: shutter
e.g. if I use my bank site, I don`t get the choice.... so PlusNet thinks it is a site that needs more security than my bank site? If I forget to "log out" on my bank site, it automatically logs me out when I close the browser.....

Exactly! The stay logged in option keeps you logged in even when you close the browser - that's why the options are there for the user to choose.
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
Lets get this straight - you are asking for Plusnet to make the least secure option the default?

seems to me they already have.......
there is no requirement to "always stay logged in" on  MEMBERS PAGE... OR... WEBMAIL.... ... it seems these are "not worthy" of the same security as the forum !.....

Exactly! The stay logged in option keeps you logged in even when you close the browser - that's why the options are there for the user to choose.

and when you close the page, the next time you come back to it (even if it is 10 seconds later) you have to log in again.... so the above statement is untrue....including  " that's why the options are there for the user to choose."  because on those two pages, this option is not there.....
adie:green fixed quote
dvorak

you do have the auto login option on the port, which is to all intents and purposes the same. Can be found under connection settings.
Customer / Moderator
shutter
Community Veteran

Not quite the same thing....
If you have the "member centre" as a bookmark/favourite..... then there is NO choice....
and when you have logged in on the member centre.... there is NO choice on the Webmail login page...
yet to have a chat with plusnet customers you need to choose whether to "stay logged in"  or be limited to 60 minutes chat .... (as jelv says, for security........................    Undecided  )  
dvorak

Sorry shutter not sure I follow, with the auto login enabled no matter how I get to the member centre e.g. type it in, book mark shortcut etc it always knows who I am and is logged in.
Agreed there is no choice on webmail, but that interface is so awful I abandoned it a ling time ago Wink
Customer / Moderator
shutter
Community Veteran

The point I am trying to make is, why is it so important, and necessary, to tick a box to stay logged in on the forum for longer than 60 minutes....
. yet if I go to the member centre page... I can be logged in all day long without ticking a box (so long as I don`t close the page)..( or switch off the computer )....... (when, despite jelv`s assertions) the page automatically logs me out when I close the page.
The information on the members page is (I hope) more secure, and definitely more "sensitive", yet the "security" ( according to jelv ) given by ticking the box, is not there..
Chatting on the forum requires more security , it would seem , than the information on the members page....  Undecided