cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAT Increase & Price Changes - January 2011

David_W
Rising Star

Re: VAT Increase & Price Changes - January 2011

Just went to upgrade and, yeah, it told me the line rental would be £22.50/month!
Obviously it's wrong but I don't want to hit that upgrade button and then be forced into paying £22.50 because I hit the agree switch.
VinylLover
Dabbler

I've been with PN for just over 7 years & seen many changes to the T&Cs over that period. However the £5 increase for the legacy Unlimited Broadband product & the "processing fee" of £1.50 for using a credit card is the most absurd. I have yet to read any reply from PN to justify either of them. Therefore all one can assume is they want to lose loyal members & the ethics of the increases are questionable, at best. Angry
Gordon
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Correct it's just another rip off. I do 99.99% of my shopping on line and pay by credit or debit card and pay no extra. Same for Council Tax, Water rates etc.
Quote from: mitchell20
Why should I pay using DD?
It's also doesn't cost you that much extra to process credit cards (and most certainly NOT debit cards)
I'm sick to death on companies (like Plus Net) using credit card processing fees for an excuse to increase the price.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

DavidW: That is your new monthly cost made up of £11.25 for PAYG and £11.25 for your broadband according to your screen shot.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

it seems every time PN change their tariffs they shoot themselves in the foot.  They always end up with queries that should have been resolved before any announcement is put out.  Sad
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Seems that many people are neglecting the fact that we've frozen broadband prices for more than 90% of customers! If you don't use international calls and are on Anytime then you also stand to save money despite the increased line rental.
Anyway, a lot of catching up to do so here are my responses to the last few pages of posts....
Quote from: Bob
Quote from: Oldjim
I was looking at the matrix you linked to.
Also on that page it states
Stuff you need to know
† - Home Phone changes from 4th January 2011: Line rental will increase to £11.99. Off-peak calling hours will change from 6pm – 6am to 7pm – 7am. There will also be some changes to call plans:
Evening & Weekends – 300 free minutes to landlines removed.
Anytime – 25% discount to mobiles removed.
What does this refer to as it doesn't link from the International calls

I think that's a typo and should refer to the international minutes, I'll get somebody to take a look tomorrow...

Now raised as problem 64753.
Quote from: lilypenny
I currently pay by Credit Card if I change to Direct Debit will I be able to choose the Direct Debit Date so that it goes out of my bank account on or just after the date I choose every month?
Forgot to say that I am a Broadband only customer.

You're invoice date will remain the same. Monies taken via Direct Debit are typically debited from your account about 5 working days after your invoice date. Under most circumstances you can't change your invoice date (without breaking a lot of stuff).
Quote from: artmo
A charge of £1.50 is a total rip off and nothing more than profiteering.  Mastercard and Visa used to charge us 1.6% on transactions.  I can't remember what we were charged on debit cards but it was in the region of 50p per £100 handled IIRC.

Let's look at it another way then. The failure rate of card payers *far* exceeds that of our Direct Debit payers. The transaction failure rate for Direct Debit averages about 1.5%. The failure rate of card transactions is about 12%. I needed tell you that repeat transactions cost us more money.
I can't remember the exact figures but it's a pretty small percentage of the customer base that are still paying their subscription by card.

It's roughly 15%.
Quote from: Wheel_nut
Looking at the Product specification for the NEW Anytime Package on this page https://www.plus.net/specialoffer/wlr2010Anytime/?WT.mc_id=ec_int_201011_VAT1&link=offer
, where does it say that there are 300 minutes of International Calls included?
And, what makes this a "Special Offer"?

It doesn't say that because you don't get 300 minutes of international minutes. You only get that on the current Anytime iteration. It's a special offer because you don't pay for the calling package for the first three months.
Quote from: Lynda
I only just joined Plusnet and I'm disappointed beyond belief as I was so pleased to get my international minutes as I paid £1.50 for those at Talktalk but if I understand it now I can't get them anymore unless I pay an extra £3.50 a month ?Huh

Depends on what package you're on. If you're on Anytime already then you'll keep your international minutes. If you're ;on evenings and weekends then you'd need to move to the current Anytime product (i,e, not the special offer) *before* 4th January.
You've amended the peak times too so we don't get offpeak till 7pm which is a real nuisance. Along with putting up my line rental the first month after I just locked myself in 12 months with yourselves. It would have been fairer if you'd mentioned this when I joined and I could take the rises into consideration while I was shopping around.

We've had a notice on the signup pages about the cost increase for a while now although admittedly it doesn't sound like they were there when you signed up.
I think that it is an error on the Product Specification page that the 300 minutes are not included. .... But only Bob can tell ...

See my post here.
Quote from: cjcrichton
I looked at the email again - and it says that the £5 talk anytime will be continuing.  I have raised a ticket because I'm embarrassed and don't know what I have "clicked" to agree to.  I'm now troubled in case my current talk anytime package is stopped pending this other arrangement being "processed."  I'm afraid it's a bit confusing and beyond me.

Sorry for the confusion, I'll take a look at your account now and make sure you stay on your current product.
Quote from: jkd
Not chuffed with the £5 charge on the unlimited legacy product - you obviously don't reward loyalty - and I am sure many will leave PlusNet.....you used to be outstanding in your heyday, excellent service, great product, good customer reviews.

Judging from your historic usage, you'd probably be better off on Extra anyway?
Very odd! I just received this email and there is NO mention of the NEW Anytime option sans Included International calls:

It's in the FAQ though.
Quote from: leahk
One word.  OUTRAGEOUS.
How the the hell do PN justify a 30% price hike for the unlimited product.
How can you have the gall to have the slogan " Our Broadband wont be beaten on price"
OK - Sky Broadband Unlimited - £15  BEAT THAT.

The won't be beat on price promise is for our Value account, not Unlimited.
Quote from: Sir
Does the £1.50 surcharge apply to irregular top-ups via Credit ot Debit cards ? - They could be seen as recurring charges !

No, it doesn't apply.
Quote from: ashflow2
Are there any advantages to staying with the 'old' Anytime tariff as opposed to switching to the New Anytime or is it entirely advantageous to switch to the New one? Where can I see a comparison between the two please?

You'll keep the included 300 international minutes on the 'old' Anytime.
Quote from: graham
I do have a question though. If I swap to another product, Plusnet Extra for instance, will I still be able to keep my hosted websites/domains with Plusnet and all that, that offers, or will 'legacy' website hosting suddenly become chargable or be dropped all together in the near future?

You'll keep all of your hosting features.
[color=blue]Can someone please advise whether it's better to move now to the Anytime package already existing to get my 300 International minutes or should I wait for the "new" Anytime ? I'm totally confused now. Which is cheapest, please-does anyone know ?

New Anytime doesn't have 300 international minutes. It has 25% off international calls instead.
Quote from: artmo
it seems every time PN change their tariffs they shoot themselves in the foot.  They always end up with queries that should have been resolved before any announcement is put out.  Sad

I can always retrospectively add things to the FAQ? I did try my best to anticipate what questions would be asked Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

X_

I'm going to change from Unlimited to Extra on cost grounds, but I don't really need Unlimited. A few questions:
1. I was charged £16.34 yesterday for another month's Unlimited. Will I get a partial refund if I switch to Extra immediately? Or can I schedule the switch in the next few days to take effect at the start of next month?
(When I switched to Unlimited, I think I had to agree to a 12 month contract, but that period ended two or three months ago.)
Possibly OT here, but it's a busy topic so chances of a reply look good,  Smiley
2. Before I switched to Unlimited, I asked for Reverse DNS lookup to be disabled, which was done. However, I've only just noticed that this is not disabled on my Unlimited account, presumably because of the change in my static IP address. Would I have static IP address with Extra?
3. Is there any way to stop my username appearing in email headers, i.e.
change real username to IP address-type name
[tt]Received: from username.plus.com ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] helo=2)[/tt]
to something like
[tt]Received: from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.plus.com ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] helo=2)[/tt]
Thanks for any replies.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Seems that many people are neglecting the fact that we've frozen broadband prices for more than 90% of customers

Or put another way instead of putting up the vat on most of the bb packages, you have increased the basic land line cost by over 50 pence per month, which is more than what the biggest vat increase on any of your bb products (The biggest vat increase would be 43 pence on the pro option market 1 ).
So lets not pretend PN are doing a great thing, because what you are giving with one hand, more than taking back  with the other.
As we all know on the eve and weekend plan , you are giving less and charging more !!
On the old unlimited plan an increase of £ 5.00, what is justifiable reason for this, as i can see none apart from greed  ?
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sticksman
Grafter

Hey Bob - I guess I wouldn't want your job today. The 25%-30% hike in the broadband unlimited deal is unjustifiable so what is the logic behind it?  Is it just to reduce the number of packages you have to administer? Is it because the traffic of some unlimited customers is a nuisance? Or did you guys just sit around the table and do some blue sky, out of the box, helicopter vision type thinking and then decide to adopt the least customer friendly, ill-timed, unjustifiable option right on Xmas and then sign the letter off with "all the best". Wow.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think we need to look a bit further into the increased charges:-
Current evening and weekends phone package £11.25  + 2.5% = £11.54 . New charge £11.99 = 55p price hike.
Old local call charges 5.25ppm + 2.5% = 5.38ppm. New charge 6.4ppm = 1.02ppm price hike
Old set up fee 9.3p + 2,5% = 9.53p. New charge 10.9p = 1.37p price hike.
This does not take into consideration the loss of inclusive international calls and I'm now going to ripped off £1.50 a month to pay by card
Time to look around I think, enough is enough. TT is looking very attractive.
retroglide

Hi everyone,
My first post on these forums and sadly not a positive one.  Although I'm very happy with my broadband and am currently on the Fibre to the cabinet trial I dont really want to pay extra for the evening and weekend home phone option I have and also lose the included international calls so I'm looking to move to another provider for my home phone.
Does anyone know if the Primus saver telephone package will be ok to move to?  It seems that its just a BT line being resold but when I checked with Plusnet customer services they said although I have no minimum contract I need to make sure the new home phone provider is an adsl one.  Excuse my ignorance but does this just mean they are using a BT rather than a cable line to provide the service?
I'd be really grateful for any advice.
mc2bme

Quote from: Oldjim
For me the change to Talk Anytime is an advantage as I don't call abroad but what about the following
Do I get the free months if I switch from the existing Talk Anytime - it looks as though I do but I would like to be certain
Can I stay on the existing product
Is there any change to the cost of addons such as caller display
Edit - I should have read the whole FAQ before posting  Embarrassed

I thought i had read it - but still do not understand.  I am on Talk Anytime what is the point of upgrading...Yes I get three months free then I pay £3.50 more??? please enlighten me.  Would I not be better off staying as is?
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): fixed quote tags.]
mc2bme

Roll_eyes CANNOT make out whther tis better to stay on Talk Anytime or move to upgrade.  Do I benefit in anyway, seems to me after three months I would be paying £3.50 more for no added service.  Please tell me upgrading or no upgrading?
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): fixed emoticon.]
Fenster
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Price increase

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, move or delete, thanks.
I got an email from plusnet saying my broadband Unlimited charge is being increased by £5! a month. Am I reading this right? I'm in a Market 3 area and pay about £16.49 for Unlimited now. That's a big percentage increase. I hope I'm wrong. Is this really happening?
maccallum

New charges

I'm very disappointed with this annoucement:
We're making some changes to our Home Phone service in January too. Our charge for line rental will be £11.99 a month. We'll no longer offer 300 inclusive international minutes on our Talk Evenings & Weekends call tariff and off peak hours are changing to 7pm - 7am.
Call prices are changing too, so please take a look at our updated call tariff for this important information.

I thought well perhaps I will upgrade then to Talk Anytime, but no! Take a look at the new tarrifs!
https://www.plus.net/residential/tariffs/homephone_jan11.html/?WT.mc_id=ec_int_201011_VAT2a&link=tar...
Talk Anytime
Anytime local and national calls Free
Top EU destinations 25% Discount

What a swiz, and NO indication to any poor fool who joins up now, they'll think that they are getting the 300 inclusive minutes!
I am DEFINITELY looking for a new provider. I cannot tell you how disillusioned with plusnet I am!!!!!!