Did you mean: 

Submission port 587 and relay.plus.net

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Submission port 587 and relay.plus.net

Morning all,
Heads up that you can now use port 587 (as well as port 25) for sending email using our relay servers. This should come in handy if you're ever trying to send email from a provider that intercepts email traffic across port 25 e.g. the mobile provider Three.
Before the question is asked, the servers do not support SSL/TLS and there are no immediate plans to offer this.
A reminder therefore that unsecured transmission of your password when sending and receiving email should only really be done from networks you trust. It's often safer in theory to use Webmail instead if you're out and about.
Anyway, I know people have asked us to open up port 587 in the past so thought I'd announce it here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Submission port 587 and relay.plus.net

Good news. Smiley
Though port 587 does not support secure connections I assume authentication is still required if not using a Plusnet connection.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It does indeed - basically it works in exactly the same way as it does across port 25.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Great news Bob! Very pleased to see this has been implemented.
Re the lack of TLS, I won't spoil the party with further comment.
Mathew
SurlyClot

Cry Not happy that my new ISP doesn't support SSL. Got an ugly warning notice in Thunderbird 13. Truth in advertising?Huh
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry about that, it is something we're hoping to be able to offer. Your final comment concerns me a bit though, afaik we don't advertise SSL support for email anywhere - please let us know if you've seen otherwise as we'll need to address that.