Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet get a new CEO - Andy Baker

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Plusnet get a new CEO - Andy Baker

For those of you who don't follow the blog (I have a RSS Feed setup) http://community.plus.net/blog/2013/12/02/plusnet-appoints-andy-baker-as-new-ceo/
90 REPLIES 90
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet get a new CEO - Andy Baker

Plusnet should get a new CEO, Another one from British Telecom, thay say on the blog that PlusNet has gone from strength to strength, I say Rubbish, bring back PlusNet's founder Lee Strafford.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You have a very short and selective memory
He was the CEO who drove Plusnet into the ground by maximising profit while it was a plc for the sale to BT by drastically limiting the bandwidth capacity.
It is a pity that the numerous complaints over at TBB have since been archived
It was only after the purchase by BT that things started to improve
BlueEagle

Indeed OldJim, I remember all of that on the TBB forum even though I wasn't with PN back then, it's like a completely different company now. Phoned customer services last week and got through in a couple of mins at peak time, too.
Perhaps there'll be some additions to available packages in the future, with the BT Sport being just the beginning?Huh
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well said Oldjim. Agree completely. If you can get on with the search function here, then you can still get a feeling what it was like circa 2006.
You'd have been far more busy being a moderator then Tongue
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

I cannot see this as good news.  This is another CEO from the BT stable who is therefore not going to rock the boat with other BT divisions (Wholesale and Openreach) who as these forums testify are arguably the largest source of issues being experienced by PN users.  Everything from an ordering system which (apparently) frequently fails to notify PN of failed orders, engineer on show, in adequately skilled contractors to local infrastructure which is well past its best before date.
PN needs a CEO with serious commercial gravitas - from outside of the BT group - who is prepared to give those BT divisions the firm kick up the bum which they clearly require.
Can we look forward to a public statement on here from the new CEO informing PN's users how he is going to improve user's experience of the services delivered by PN's subcontractors?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: Townman
Can we look forward to a public statement on here from the new CEO informing PN's users how he is going to improve user's experience of the services delivered by PN's subcontractors?

They're not PN's 'sub-contractors' (if they were, of course, PN would be in a more powerful position to give them a good kicking), but I assume you mean BT divisions such as Wholesale and Openreach who are PN's suppliers.
There's no doubt that most of PN's perceived poor performance is due to failings by those suppliers.
Outgoing CEO Jamie Ford said
Andy has an excellent reputation within the industry and a proven track record of taking very complex telecoms technology and creating and delivering these into simple solutions that customers really want.

so maybe he can knock some heads together. It's certainly long overdue that somebody did.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
[Snip]

I admit that I have a bad memory, But since British Telecom takeover PlusNet gone for new customers:
01. Web hosting.
02. Unlimited email addresses.
03. And some I cannot remember.
Plus for existing customers:
01. Removal of the cctv cameras from PlusNet towers.
02. A lack of communication with Plusnet Usergroup from what I can see.
03. Newsletters from PlusNet - I haven't had one in over a year.
04. And some I cannot remember.
[Edit] Added: Newsletters
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We're a business, of course we're going to try and get new customers. If we didn't then we wouldn't still be here.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It was his first day yesterday.
What do you guys see as his top 5 items?  I'll take them to him!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: 4C
They're not PN's 'sub-contractors' (if they were, of course, PN would be in a more powerful position to give them a good kicking), but I assume you mean BT divisions such as Wholesale and Openreach who are PN's suppliers.
There's no doubt that most of PN's perceived poor performance is due to failings by those suppliers.

With respect, sub-contractor / supplier is pure semantics - they are 3rd parties in the solution delivery space who are not supplying a quality service.  They need to be fixed.  I do not see a BT insider whose next role is likely to be a move up the BT corporate ladder (as James has done) rocking the boat of other BT divisions.
Quote from: Chris
We're a business, of course we're going to try and get new customers. If we didn't then we wouldn't still be here.

Chris,
Equally if you cannot keep your existing customers, you won't still be here.  Frankly I find the BT ownership of PN toxic, however I believe that PN is much better than other ISPs, but if more BT ethos is bestowed upon the historic PN culture all I anticipate is a decline in service.  You have to ask why did the communications giant BT buy up such a comparatively small competitor?  Answer - because PN were so much better than was BT and posed a real competitive threat to BT retail.  How does a giant manage such threats?  Buys them up and then constrain what they are allowed to do.
Come on PN kick ass and go back to doing as you did so well!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Midnight
Quote from: Oldjim
[Snip]

I admit that I have a bad memory, But since British Telecom takeover PlusNet gone for new customers:
01. Web hosting.
02. Unlimited email addresses.
03. And some I cannot remember.

Web hosting I agree but given the user base Plusnet are aiming at it that isn't needed and is just a cost which has to be paid for
Unlimited email address - that is just wrong http://www.plus.net/support/email/common_questions.shtml#multipleAddresses
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Kelly,
Either he is very approachable or you are dammed brave! It is evident that users are deeply frustrated by the difficulty / time it takes to contact PN to resolve issues.  PN has medium term plans to fix that, but new staff / systems cannot be brought into service over night to deal with the consequences of other's failures.  The items list needs to be driven from what's causing pain (rather than the symptoms) to users and PN support staff a like.
1. Address the BTw issues which cause failed orders to be not clearly communicated back to PN - two stages (a) Daily stale order (those which do not show progress towards confirmation for 48 or more hours) review and (b) Analysis and report back to BTw demanding a systematic fix plan from them
2. A systematic audit of all failed appointments - by region - feedback to BTOR so that they can fix their issues and pay full compensation to the end user AND then provide fast track appointments at their own expense
3. Profile the fall off on FTTC speeds - again by region / exchange - and report back to BTOR for local resolution
4. Get a grip on the list of known issues in PN's customer systems - especially the issue regarding user's touch on an open ticket moving that ticket to the end of the queue (or whatever the facts are which causes it to loose its place)
5. Stop diluting the PN offer - as above so many of the 'expected' facilities which came as part of an Internet service have been taken away from the PN offerings - web space, domain name, cgi platform (desperately needs updating), email distribution lists... The richness of the PN offering is being stripped to the bone - please stop
An over-loaded call centre / ticket system is a consequence items 1-4 - I am sure that many will ask for the symptoms to be addressed - more support staff now!  That is not something which can be done instantly - managing the cause of issues, requires only intent and determination to face issues at their source, rather than applying sticking plasters to the consequences.  If a baby is playing with a packet of razor blades, do you just persist in applying Elastoplast with a plan to buy some chain mail gloves for the kiddie?  No you prevent the child getting the blades in the first place.
So fix the problems which cause the issues reported in these forums in the source organisation - BT - not PN.

Kelly - good luck, I hoe this is not career limiting!
Cheers,
Kevin

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Townman
You have to ask why did the communications giant BT buy up such a comparatively small competitor?  Answer - because PN were so much better than was BT and posed a real competitive threat to BT retail.  How does a giant manage such threats?  Buys them up and then constrain what they are allowed to do.

The reason BT bought Plusnet was so that they could have a brand that could compete with Sky and TalkTalk on price whilst still continuing to charge over the odds for the BT Retail users. That's why Plusnet try to match the Sky and TalkTalk deals and seem intent on also matching their standards of service!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
What do you guys see as his top 5 items?  I'll take them to him!

In terms of growing PN's business, a total IPTV solution would differentiate yourselves from the rest of the marketplace.
YouView is a start, but I think you would be well placed for the future if you could come up something like this http://www.att.com/shop/tv.html#fbid=xPCKVe9XXLE