cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

godsell4
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011)

Voip is typically a few 10's of kb/s and will have little or no affect on the gaming traffic arriving.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Pro add-on has FTP in Titanium, the old Pro didn't.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Vip3r
Grafter

Pro Add-on:
Good idea, but why is there no Link to find out how much this costs from the Fibre page (its only there at the bottom of the broadband page).
2mb Upload:
Why is the fact that Plusnet are limiting upload artificially to 2mb not more prominent on the site, 40mb download is plastered everywhere, but I have only found one line about the upload speed after searching for a good 15 minutes.
Speed Restrictions:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml When comparing existing Extra to Fibre Extra the line speed period is shorter, Extra is 12am-6pm, Fibre Extra 1am - 7am then its rate limited.
So if you are lucky to have an ADSL2 connection running faster than 10mb you would be better off on Extra than moving to Fibre if you do most of your activity between 12am and 6pm.
Take Fibre Extra Download sites 12pm to 6pm 2Mb/s, on adsl extra its line speed.
ianh

On the original fibre announcement.........
I note on your Website that Macclesfield and Wilmslow exchanges (in Cheshire) are enabled for fibre (was Wilmslow later? - can't remember). They are both within the 01625 code. I live in Bollington, which is also 01625 (numbers start 57----). There is no indication that Bollington is / will be enabled for fibre. However, walking around, I see Openreach vans, with engineers stuffing long tubes under the pavement. Is this co-incidence, or are we getting fibre eventually, and, if so, do you know when?
Vip3r
Grafter

On the Fibre page at the bottom in the legal bit there is this:
Pricing - Existing customers
Plusnet Value Fibre and Extra Fibre: Costs from £10 extra a month on top of your usual subscription charge.

the word from (my emphasis) in there seems to indicate that there are cases where it will cost more than an extra £10, is that the case if so when is it more and how much more?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: ianh
On the original fibre announcement.........
I note on your Website that Macclesfield and Wilmslow exchanges (in Cheshire) are enabled for fibre (was Wilmslow later? - can't remember). They are both within the 01625 code. I live in Bollington, which is also 01625 (numbers start 57----). There is no indication that Bollington is / will be enabled for fibre. However, walking around, I see Openreach vans, with engineers stuffing long tubes under the pavement. Is this co-incidence, or are we getting fibre eventually, and, if so, do you know when?

Put your phone number in to https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and you should find out all you want - if it is scheduled it will tell you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
OK, lets get to an answer a slightly different way.
if a user has paid for the Pro Add-On, is all traffic at least Gold or better?

Yes.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Vip3r
Pro Add-on:
Good idea, but why is there no Link to find out how much this costs from the Fibre page (its only there at the bottom of the broadband page).

It's just a case of not swamping the customer with info. It is shown in more detail within the actual signup.
2mb Upload:
Why is the fact that Plusnet are limiting upload artificially to 2mb not more prominent on the site, 40mb download is plastered everywhere, but I have only found one line about the upload speed after searching for a good 15 minutes.

I'll check with marketing, but I'd assume it's because most customers only care about download speed. Before you shout at me, I said *most* Wink
Speed Restrictions:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml When comparing existing Extra to Fibre Extra the line speed period is shorter, Extra is 12am-6pm, Fibre Extra 1am - 7am then its rate limited.
So if you are lucky to have an ADSL2 connection running faster than 10mb you would be better off on Extra than moving to Fibre if you do most of your activity between 12am and 6pm.
Take Fibre Extra Download sites 12pm to 6pm 2Mb/s, on adsl extra its line speed.

We've deliberately left rate limits in place 'til 1am on Fibre so that they don't impact the ADSL/ADSL2+ customers who schedule their downloads for midnight.
Yes, if you're a very lucky ADSL2+ customer you can potentially get better speeds than Fibre during quieter times on certain traffic, but this is offset by the fact that you get much better speeds in the evening on Fibre.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: carrot63
Mand,
One of the pages you link to has browsing, email, streaming, p2p, downloads as "managed" with the Pro add-on:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
Another adds newsgroups to the list:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_experience.shtml
Managed is defined as:
"Traffic which will usually run at line speed, but may be limited in the busiest periods"
While another page has all protocols defined as "line speed", all the time.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
So which is correct? Line speed all the time or "managed"?

On the Pro add-on those things are line speed all the time (as there are no rate-limits in place at any time). But they are Managed simply because they're not Prioritised. Anything in Gold is classed as Managed by the definition.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
On http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml, PN Value Fibre shows streaming is Line Speed 24/7. But on PN Extra Fibre, there are times when it is rate limited. Thats a typo right?

Yes, that will be fixed this afternoon. Correct rate limit during peak on Value Fibre is 5Mb.
keeps54
Grafter

What if the pro add-on was selected whilst on the FTTP trial?
Also posted in FTTP trial forum here... http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95270.0.html
nibor
Grafter

I was on the pro package on fttc trial , have just swithched down to the value package and will be adding the pro add on so doubling my 20gb usage to 40 gb for an extra £5 on what i was paying before, So im happy wioth that.
keeps54
Grafter

That make sense nibor. The trouble is, at the moment FTTP is still a trial and so I'm still paying ADSL rate of £11.49. They've told us if we switch to a fibre package *after* the trial we'd pay the fibre package rate but it appears I can select pro add-on now whilst I'm still on the trial. If I select it, does this mean I get FTTP with 60GB download and line speed for £11.49 + £5.00? That would be a good option for me, especially if gaming is now going to be restricted for me to 5Mbps. Or, will my gaming remain at line speed because I'm on ADSL terms rather than fibre terms?
I also work from home occasionally and VPN is restricted to 2Mbps, with pro add-on this would be at line speed too.
gareth99

I've applied at 7 this morning via the upgrade portal, not heard anything yet.
Getting worried as I know there is not many fttc connections .vs. houses in my local box. I'll be very upset if I miss the boat because I had to wait until PlusNet to make their service live before I could apply.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63