Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

HI all,
For those of you that are not aware, we have today launched our new fibre products which you can view on our blog here. It would be appreciated that any questions regarding the launch and the new products be kept to this thread. However, before posting a question here please read our FAQ as we have gone to great lengths to try to answer all the obvious questions there.
Jojo Smiley
jim:green title changed to include reference to the new Pro add-on in the blog mod:end
141 REPLIES 141
Dom
Grafter

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011)

Can't get it in my area. Typical!  Crazy Crazy Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Pro add-on
Submit favourite games for priority
We regularly add new games to our database to give them priority. You can ask us to add new ones too!

Why would you need to do this if all traffic (including unidentified) is given top priority? Is the traffic prioritisation for the Pro add-on the same as the old PAYG and Pro?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Looking at the Guide to Broadband Speeds and All about traffic management I see all the tables of expected speeds have gone. The pages have information saying that speeds on lower priority protocols will be reduced at peak times and the start markings show that some protocols are "slowed down", but there is no indication of just how slow that might be.
The old tables might have confused some people, but it was absolutely black and white as to whether it was working within specification when people complained about speeds.
Edit: Just had the link to the Broadband Experience given to me that has the tables. Things have moved around a little!
Mand
Grafter

Jelv,
The expected download speeds page is still there, and is linked to from the traffic management guide. For convenience, here's a linky. Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thanks Mand, Chris had also sent me the link.
The Plusnet Pro add-on table emphasises my question in my first reply, why do you need to submit games for priority if everything is line speed at all times on Pro add-an? The selling point of the old Pro was that it gave gamers good speeds on unrecognised games. I'm missing something here!
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I have just found that link Mand posted after looking around for 10 minutes, why is this been made so difficult to find?
When you click on broadband only  then click on find out more, why is there no mention or link to traffic management and expected speed?
When you then click Want to know more about broadband? Read our FAQs there is no mention about traffic management under the broadband heading but is under fiber broadband ?
After navigating around the site seems like PN have made it hard to find out all the info about traffic management
Regards Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
The download speeds page is linked to from the main FAQ (Q7). It's also linked to from the Pro add-on page, and from both the traffic management and the broadband experience pages.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Pro add-on
Submit favourite games for priority
We regularly add new games to our database to give them priority. You can ask us to add new ones too!

Why would you need to do this if all traffic (including unidentified) is given top priority? Is the traffic prioritisation for the Pro add-on the same as the old PAYG and Pro?

The traffic prioritisation is slightly different on the Pro add-on, in that more traffic is in Titanium than Gold. You can see the detail on the How is traffic prioritised section here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
godsell4
Rising Star

OK, lets get to an answer a slightly different way.
if a user has paid for the Pro Add-On, is all traffic at least Gold or better?
If the answer is Yes, then a customer does not need to care so much about games unknown to the Ellanoya.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
godsell4
Rising Star

On http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml, PN Value Fibre shows streaming is Line Speed 24/7. But on PN Extra Fibre, there are times when it is rate limited. Thats a typo right?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I think the "broadband download speeds"   page should also be linked in the box that appears from clicking "find out more"
Before the website/product refresh, when a user clicked on find out more on either value or extra was there  a link to the traffic management  page?
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

carrot63
Grafter

Mand,
One of the pages you link to has browsing, email, streaming, p2p, downloads as "managed" with the Pro add-on:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
Another adds newsgroups to the list:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_experience.shtml
Managed is defined as:
"Traffic which will usually run at line speed, but may be limited in the busiest periods"
While another page has all protocols defined as "line speed", all the time.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
So which is correct? Line speed all the time or "managed"?
Dom
Grafter

I see what you mean about the games thing - if the traffic is always prioritised, then it shouldn't matter about any "unknown" games as the traffic will be prioritised by default (in theory).
phil4
Grafter

If I'm reading this right: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
If it's gaming it takes top priority, as it's Titanium.  However if its not identified as gaming, it could fall into "Other", which is Gold Plated.  As such it'd end up lower priority than titanium, and with a bandwidth allowance.
As such, even at "wire speed", it could get slowed down by other traffic which is Titanium, such as VOIP, or other games.
So adding a game so it's recognised would stop the chances of a problem as above.