Grafter

Re: Peak time latency spikes

@AndyH
Wow, you had a busy evening!!
Plusnet's new theme:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCGW58DTE4    Grin
AndyH
Grafter

@ Bright - As always  Cool Got a routine of doing these tests now (done nearly 1000 this month so far!)
@ JEB - Am on the same gateway as you and my pings are fine. Downloads from mirrors are lower than normal, but the thinkbroadband test was close to my max speed (http://ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bright - If you don't do the hop, then you'll be going "Way On Down" -
-NHXk>
-NHXk
JEB
Grafter

@AndyH
My speeds and pings have recovered now since it is getting late.  In my experience it's inconsistent what services are effected.  For example earlier this evening the BT Speedtest gave my line speed, but other downloads were very slow.  Other days I have experienced full speed on Usenet but everything web related has been horribly slow.
Bright
Grafter

@purleigh -  Grin
@wizkid66 - same gateway as you but I've had a steady 72Mbps down/17.8Mbps up/6ms ping all evening. Does seem to point to congestion at your exchange. Especially if it started around 4pm. Plusnet's traffic graphs do show that's when the evening peak starts, but traffic still only at about 65% of peak throughput (at around 9.30pm).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@purleigh
There was 2 hidden users when I last looked.
20CN ptn-ag04 Nothing different to report. Slight variability in pings, speedtests Ok. Streaming as before.
Lumpy speedtest.net results last night I put down to speedtest.net servers as everything else & all other checks seems normal.
@AndyH
I didn't say MK gave me the fastest ping by the way, I said it was the most consistent / stable / steady or whatever word you wish to use.
Bjn
Grafter

Ok white box results for today and they held up so since 15th they appear to be allot better, whitebox dashboard graphs attached
Still on gateway ptn-ag01
Downstream Throughput

Date 18.03.2013

Average (Mbps)
22:00 51.34
20:00 51.40
18:00 52.04
16:00 53.97
04:00 51.64
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm watching.
I think it could be the other problem we've been seeing, based on the drops being a lot less dramatic than before. 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Anotherone
@purleigh
There was 2 hidden users when I last looked.

I don't care,  the fact is that this thread has been running for TWO MONTHS,  some of us are now worse off now than ever,  and for a so called 'PRIORITY PROBLEM'  there are no staff sitting glued to this thread WHEN THE PROBLEMS ARE HAPPENING  to provide real time support, suggestions and feedback to those of us that are trying to help get to the bottom of whatever is going wrong.

Quote from: dave
Quote from: purleigh
20CN on 'pcl-ag01'
Lost it now,  test after test has collapsed in speed !

Exchange looks OK (we have a 20CN list, waiting on the 21CN one), line looks fine, network looks fine and PCL-AG01 looks fine. Try a disconnect/reconnect.

What is the point of keep being asked to disconnect/reconnect, because you know the outcome before we do it !
Night after night someone reports that they have stumbled upon a bad link, hops to another gateway, and the problem disappears !.  So bloody what !.  How is this getting closer to fixing the problem ?  Plusnet need to be running forensic trace on these faulty connections and discovering the root cause of whatever is going wrong - not hopping to another gateway and saying "yes that last one really was bad after all".

[quote=Kelly]Some of the line cards we are using can handle x amount of traffic.  Unless they are configured in a certain way. If they are configured in that way, they drop by y amount of traffic, leading to a capacity of x-y.
We don't have specific graphing on those cards so can't be sure we've been exceeding x-y, but based on our traffic levels at the minute it is possible.  Those cards now have graphing, and we've changed the config so the cards can handle x
Whatever the last change Plusnet did regarding changing the overhead calculation on their line cards, since then my connection seems to have had a permanent 500Kbps loss (below my "Current Line Speed").  Is that change permanent or is it going to be fixed ?.

[quote=dave]Exchange looks OK (we have a 20CN list, waiting on the 21CN one), line looks fine, network looks fine and PCL-AG01 looks fine
Oh yes, it must all be in my imagination then   Angry
Anonymous
Not applicable

20CN  on  'ptw-ag01'

englishrick
Grafter

5am OFF PEAK......

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Kelly
I'm watching.
I think it could be the other problem we've been seeing, based on the drops being a lot less dramatic than before.   

Which you still haven't explained, or said how/what it it's affecting  Roll_eyes
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

The usual 10 PM peak on ptw-ag02. I've been away for a month. Has there yet been any explanation as to what is going on?
Bjn
Grafter

@englishrick,
Looks like the PN guys have agreed that you and others on your exchange have a congestion problem as per your speedtest  posts and are onto it with BT. I wish you all good luck that BT get on the case and upgrade the exchange to resolve your problem.
As quoted by PN guys yours is a separate problem to what other have been suffering therefore as they have now pin pointed your problem to the exchange is there any point posting any more speed tests to this thread. Maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread highlighting your exchange so others on that exchange can be informed what the problem is rather than them reading through a very long thread thinking they have another type of problem.
Many thanks for your help over the last few weeks and hope you can help other better with a new thread. (just a suggestion to avoid confusion and nothing personal).
Anonymous
Not applicable

20CN  on  'ptw-ag01'
New day and still not right,  with at least 500Kbps too slow  and STILL 10ms unexplained additional latency -

The TBB graph looks relatively OK though -