cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time latency spikes

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Peak time latency spikes

The high ping is in your internal network - you are connected via wifi?
shure
Grafter

On a related note, I'm still getting a very variable service.  I experimented this week by not attempting to seek out a ptn gateway but just going with the flow.  When I was on ptn I went for a week before dropping the connection manually in order to move some wiring.  I'm now on my second gateway in three days through the connection dropping and spikes going through the roof.  Still leads me to conclude that the only remotely reliable gateway for me is Telehouse North, for some reason.  Any ideas why?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Shure:  Any chance you can get in a PCL gateway now and let us know how it is?  We made some changes which appear to have generally improved performance across the WBMC platform last night.

All:  How was peak time performance last night for the rest of you?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I did a bit of 'gaming' last night and it was satisfactory on PTN-AG02
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shure
Grafter

@Kelly.: OK, I'll re-connect now until I get a pcl gateway.  Fingers crossed!
shure
Grafter

@Kelly.  I'm sending you a PN with my current IP address.  I've just recycled several times to try and get a pcl gateway and this current one doesn't allow me to check as the gateway checker just times out.  Pcl by any chance Grin
gateway begins 31.185.***
edit: just done a ping test and that came out alright, so don't know why the gateway checker refused to work for a few minutes.  Just checked now and sure enough I'm on pcl-ag07.  Are you sure it's improved? Smiley
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: AndyH
The high ping is in your internal network - you are connected via wifi?

Hey AndyH:  The fact that his first hop shows an increase latency doesn't actually mean he's showing latency between his computer and the beeb.  It just means his router was slow in responding back, and it was probably busy routing at the time.
The only time to be concerned about an increase like that is when you see a lift which is continued on from each device following it.
Kelly Dorset
AndyH
Grafter

@ Kelly - Thx for clarifying that.
@ shure - Do you have DMZ set up on your router to a wireless device? I am on PCL-AG07 and everything is good for me (the spikes to the top are me doing speed tests) -
shure
Grafter

@AndyH: no, I don't have DMZ set up, just port forwarding and static IP's for various devices.  It appears I'm on pcl-ag07 now, too Wink
edit: don't know whether it makes a difference but I'm on good old 20CN ADSL (not +!).
Kelly
Hero

Shure:  How is your connection now? You were saying you couldn't browse?
Kelly Dorset
shure
Grafter

@Kelly: seems to be OK now.  TBH the only thing I tested was the gateway checker while I was constantly re-connecting to find a pcl one.  It was just this last connection where the page timed out and wouldn't let me check, even after loading a new page and waiting several minutes.  It seems to be working at the moment so I'll leave as is and monitor the connection.  Pingtest looks good so far:

edit: when trying to post this message originally I got a message saying I couldn't post on this board Undecided
Kelly
Hero

Stick on there as long as you can stand and let us know how it is please!
Kelly Dorset
shure
Grafter

and again just now:
shure
Grafter

On the plus side, my speed's pretty good.  Close to my maximum possible.  Don't know why I'm getting the timeouts, though.
Kelly
Hero

Timeouts are a community site bug we think.  I've seen them a couple of times.
Kelly Dorset