cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time latency spikes

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Peak time latency spikes

It was wrong of the engineer to blame PN.
Your problem is very similar to Finguz's slow downs (which has finally been identified as congestion in BT's network).
Do you know any other people on the same exchange as you with speed issues?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to agree with 'jamesanstee', that something is still not right.
Today I have found a configuration work around that has got my line back to full speed (8.128Mbps), my line profile is still recovering (currently 7.0Mbps), and my line is now virtually error free.
However my latency is still 15ms higher than it was a few weeks ago, and as I was reporting two weeks ago my speedtest results have dropped 500Kbps to 800Kbps all the time - when for the last few YEARS it was unusual to see a speedtest result drop more than 200Kbps at peak times.

I'll be back on the case with Chris Pettitt on Monday to start getting my initial issue corrected.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My next door neighbour is with bt infinity and is not experiencing any slow downs same telephone exchange but the engineer did say it was a waste of time him coming out and that the appointment should never have been booked but to be frank i found the engineer to be quite rude and using a slightly raised voice as if to imply i was wasting his time.
AndyH
Grafter

@ purleigh Are you on fastpath?
@ jamesanstee  Sounds like you had an unhelpful engineer. He certainly shouldn't start blaming the CP when he has no proof that the fault lies with them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes on fastpath
ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Fast
Trellis: ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 11.8 24.0
Attn(dB): 9.0 5.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.8 12.2
Max(Kbps): 8448 1144
Rate (Kbps): 8128 448
englishrick
Grafter

For crying out loud...this is gotta be a joke!!!!!!!!..
It is not peak time now surely!!!!!!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@purleigh
Your download speed looks to me to be exactly the speed I would expect (and get myself) for a 6.5mbps Profile. Have you checked your Current Line speed ?
Bjn
Grafter

Ok after over a week of constant speeds yesterday (Saturday 23rd March) the peak time speed drop reappeared at around 6pm. I've had 50+ speed 24hrs since 16th March
Whtiebox results below and attachment for yesterday plus speedtes.nett result for this morning
I'm still on gateway plc-ag08 and have been for last 5 days.
Downstream Throughput

Date 23.3.2013

Average (Mbps)
20:00 50.00
18:00 22.41
16:00 51.37
10:00 55.01
04:00 51.33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Anotherone
@purleigh
Your download speed looks to me to be exactly the speed I would expect (and get myself) for a 6.5mbps Profile. Have you checked your Current Line speed ?

Quote from: purleigh
...my line back to full speed (8.128Mbps), my line profile is still recovering (currently 7.0Mbps), and my line is now virtually error free.

So yes my "Current Line speed" was 7.0Mbps at the time of the above test.
Quote from: purleigh
However my latency is still 15ms higher than it was a few weeks ago, and as I was reporting two weeks ago my speedtest results have dropped 500Kbps to 800Kbps all the time - when for the last few YEARS it was unusual to see a speedtest result drop more than 200Kbps at peak times.

This was already happening BEFORE my line went wrong last week, the increased latency has been there for weeks and the speed offset seen in my speedtest results tracked with the changes in line profile at 7.15,  7.0,  and 6.5Mbps.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There's a difference between the BT IP Profile from the BT Speedtester (as well as the bRAS profile showing on BT systems) and the "Current Line Speed" at the member centre, the latter is not always the same as the others.
Anonymous
Not applicable

20CN  on  'pcl-ag05'
Latency for the last week has been 31 to 33ms.
No line errors,  current line speed = 7Mbps
Browsing felt unresponsive so did a pingtest and found out why !  -

Cry
Gateway hopped to 'ptw-ag04', result looked a little better but still not good !

Hopped again to 'pcl-ag03' and got better again -

Roll_eyes
rookey
Grafter

Are people still having problems?
Ive not had any problems for 2 weeks or more now Smiley  been fantastic and my ping not moved from 18ms  That on 20CN
Froug
Grafter

I am - moved from BE last week, and my latencies have been (intermittently) awful. 200-500ms to the PlusNet gateway. Opened a fault ticket on Friday.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Yesterday I was out till around 19:45 - no PC's were on. So what was going on during the day time, particularly the packet drops around midday? The increased maximum during the afternoon is a little odd.

I think the changed minimum at around 7pm and packet loss is when it lost sync due to me ringing in to tell my wife what time I expected to be home.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MsDizzie
Grafter

purleigh you're not alone  Cry those are the sort of ping values I have been seeing last week, previously I had been getting an "A" rated line with zero jitter while the major latency problem was ongoing!
And now... I believe that the "impovements" that Plusnet have made recently have upset the karma of my connection! Fortunately for me, I'm not a "gamer" else I would be a bit peeved.