cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time latency spikes

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Peak time latency spikes

I don't think that the peak time slow speeds + the gateway hardware problem (big green ping spikes) had the symptoms of noticeable packet loss. Certainly looking through my graphs, the pings increased but there was no real packet loss apart from the occasional blip.
The graph Kelly posted on 12/3 doesn't look like mine from the same day:

I wonder if BT have somehow capped users on Finguz' exchange to share the available bandwidth more evenly until it's upgraded? If that makes sense or is even possible.
Finguz
Grafter

No idea, and I'm not disputing how my graph looks, honest  Grin
My sticking point is that if there were serious issues on my line, DLM would be aggressively chopping my profile and applying interleaving, and neither is happening.
Time will tell of course, but if I had to guess I would say congestion and/or a faulty MSAN or something between the cabinet and the web.
AndyH
Grafter

Did you manage to test your GF's parents fibre connection to compare performance?
The other thing you could do is post on the BT Infinity/Thinkbroadband/digitalspy forums to see if any other users in your area have the same issue.
Finguz
Grafter

Yes they were at about half of their 35Mbps downstream sync.
I'll go and post on there now, thanks for giving me the idea  Wink
I remember reading on the Sky forums where a tech said that some of their FTTC issues with throughput and packet loss were being caused by a recent BT/OR firmware update/patch, so maybe my issue is related to that?
AndyH
Grafter

I think it's unlikely it would be cause by a fw update as then all the other exchanges would have the same problem. Also, they could possibly downgrade fw if it was causing issues.
Not sure how long your exchange has been amber, but I would imagine BT have to put in new links to Leeds from your exchange? The topology and capacity of BT's network remains a mystery Smiley
Finguz
Grafter

Ah well, lots of other exchanges/people are having packet loss and throughput issues on Infinity/FTTC. Also not all exchanges are equal, and the kit within them can vary quite a lot.
I'm afraid I have no idea how long it's been amber or indeed how BT intend to remedy the situation, sorry  Undecided
adie:quote
Blim
Grafter

Interesting, I wonder if a fw rollback could improve things. I don't have the access to my modem as its in the loft.
AndyH
Grafter

True, but we're not seeing masses of people complaining about problems with packetloss/throughput on these forums in relation to the total PN user base.
I have a feeling that BT going unlimited has stretched capacity at some exchanges - the timing seems to correlate.
Finguz
Grafter

Have a look here
There are similiar threads on othe forums too, for example Sky.
The vast majority of Plusnet, and any other isp's,customers, won't know their/this forum exists.
Yes I agree, I think the issue I am seeing is related to my exchange being overstretched, or some other location it connects through/via.
AndyH
Grafter

@ Blim - We're talking about a fw update at the exchanges (I think)
@ Finguz - Yep, already seen that thread. But ryant704 also maxes out his connection too which gives some 'busy' graph.
Not applicable

Hi All,
How reliable are people on here finding the BT speed tester?  I have done quite a few speed tests with it and seem to get different results each time. If I use speedtest.net then the results are about the same each time I test. I am currently connected to gateway: pcl-ag05. I have swapped gateways but am still getting the same speedtest results with the BT speedtester.
My router is: Asus RT-AC66U -  with the latest firmware installed.

Would be grateful for any help you can offer.
Thanks,

BT Speedtester:

FAQ

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
73.85 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 73.85 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
2.69 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.69Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Speedtest.net

http://speedtest.net/result/2594938903.png
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

When the BT speedtester works it's generally fine. I find it consistent and compares to the server I use at speedtest.net as well as compared to mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
You shouldn't rely on just a one-off test that is different from what you normally expect. There could have been momentary congestion. Re-run the test. Compare to another tester. Do this at off-peak times to find your typical speed.
If you get persistently bad results it indicates something could be amiss.
Not applicable

Hi,
Thanks for your response,
If I run the BT speedtester during off peak hours then I generally get around the same as other speedtest sites for example 73mbps down and around 15 - 16mbps up. If I use the BT speedtester during peak hours then I get different results almost each time I run a test anything from 16mpbs down to 3mbps for the upload speeds.  I have done another speedtest with another site and the result is coming out about the same as the test from Speedtest.net. I also get different ping results each time I use the BT speedtester.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=136406698600943986492
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the ping test result from the BT speedtester. Don't forget that results from any tester can vary if the server is being heavily used. My advice is to find two or three that gives consistent results for you. Pinging ntp.plus.net from a Command prompt is also a worthwhile check to run.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

So plusnet send out a second openreach engineer to me because of the poor speeds im getting at peak times yet the second engineer says the speeds are fine and when he tested the connection he claimed to have got 67meg downstream yet the ip profile is 61 but the speed is still slow

Im currently connected to gateway pcl-ag08 Also the openreach engineer said there was no issues on there side of the network and put it down as contention on plusnets side .