Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oldjim has passed away

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Oldjim has passed away

Such a great person, who shared so much of his time and knowledge to help so many people on the forum. Will be missed by all.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Just seen this.  Gutted. Sad

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Very sad news, helped me a number of times over technical issues.

A major contributor to the forum over the years who will be missed by all.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As many have already said, this is indeed very sad news. My very sincere condolences to his wife and family.

I may only post here now and again these days, but try and keep up with a few things, and this is one thing that has made my day all the poorer.
Thoughts of Oldjim brings back many memories of the many interactions when I was a frequent poster as we both helped other forum members. Those days were great fun and there aren't enough words to describe how great his contributions to this forum were when we were trying to solve sometimes technically challenging issues for people, as well as him trying to keep the forum in order as a moderator.
He had a unique combination of knowledge, wit, understanding and sometimes sarcasm.
I will miss him when I do visit.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

A great loss to all. My condolences to his family. His posts were always worthy of reading as they invariably were words of wisdom. He will leave a lasting legacy in the knowledge held in all his past posts, which will remain relevant as we go forward.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

He helped me, I can only judge him by the number of people who he helped on here and have a good opinion of him! R.I.P.

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Anotherone wrote:

He had a unique combination of knowledge, wit, understanding and sometimes sarcasm.

I was always amazed at just how much he seemed to know about virtually everything.

The number of times people would state things on this forum (myself included) only to be proven completely wrong by OJ was astounding. He could produce all sorts of facts, figures, documents etc from all sorts of sources. If you ever got into a dispute over a topic with him it was already a lost cause as he was always the smarter one. I learnt years ago that once he entered into a thread it was best just to accept what he said as gospel lol.

He also got me through a few hard times by PM. Like I said earlier, I will really miss him.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Sad news indeed.

My condolences to OldJim's wife, family and friends.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Very sad to hear this news - I only just stumbled upon this thread and I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading.

On behalf of myself, (and I am sure I speak for everyone when I say this) very sad news.

I would like to thank him for his contributions and I am sure the people on the Community he has helped will agree.

Pass on my condolences to his family and the time he gave out to be a moderator at PlusNet, with the PlusNet staff too for allowing him to be one.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

ask66
Dabbler

So sorry to hear this.  I was only reading one of his posts earlier today.  It says something about Oldjim's commitment to Plusnet and its customers that he posted over 38 thousand times (yes 38 thousand!) and was still posting just weeks before passing away.  Sincere condolences to his wife and family.  This forum will be poorer without him.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@7up wrote:
I was always amazed at just how much he seemed to know about virtually everything.

The number of times people would state things on this forum (myself included) only to be proven completely wrong by OJ was astounding. He could produce all sorts of facts, figures, documents etc from all sorts of sources. If you ever got into a dispute over a topic with him it was already a lost cause as he was always the smarter one. I learnt years ago that once he entered into a thread it was best just to accept what he said as gospel lol.

I entirely agree. I think there were a couple of times a few years ago, I learned things about Plusnet from him I didn't know.

For posterity's sake:

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 22.07.15.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 22.05.40.png

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Only just picked this up - I am so sorry. I never met OJ but he was the first to help me on the forum and I always found his advice solid and his opinions very evenly balanced.

I truly feel I have lost a personal friend. RIP OJ, you will be very sadly missed.

billbo
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

So sad.

I don't visit the forum much these days, I just pop in now and then to see what's happening.

What a shock.

Jim was well established here in the community way back in the rough old days when I was a member of the mod team.

He always had a steadying hand and has very knowledgeable.

He will be a great miss.

Bill

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I'll repeat what I wrote in a closed part of the forum when I heard ...
Such sad news! 😢
Always had a lot of time and appreciation for Oldjim's contributions - to both Plusnet and this community. He also came across as a thoroughly nice chap!
He'll be missed for sure.
Rest in peace 😔

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵