Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Broadband Troubleshooter

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

New Broadband Troubleshooter

Hi all,
We're pleased to announce a new Broadband Troubleshooter, being released tomorrow morning. This is replacing the current troubleshooter as the means of raising a fault to us via the portal.
We've improved the messaging, the questions and the diagnostics asked as part of the initial investigation, and we've also tried to explain things much more clearly than they are in the current incarnation. We hope you approve.
You can see some screenshots below, we'll be adding extra functionality in the new year so we'll update this thread with details of these rollouts closer to the time.
This won't affect any currently open faults in any way, we'll continue to investigate those as normal and update regularly.
Please add any comments or feedback below, thanks very much.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Broadband Troubleshooter

Shouldn't you mention the quiet line test 17070 option 2 and what to do if it is noisy or does that come later
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Presumably you've test run the new process with a number of users before putting it live for everybody!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@oldjim - the new tool actually checks for PSTN line issues and either raises a fault ticket on the phone line (if it's with us) or advises the user to contact their PSTN provider (if it's not) so those tests do indeed come later.
@jelv - we've been using the new troubleshooter internally for the past couple of weeks and it's been working well - one or two issues have been ironed out, and we've also had a couple of instances where a fault has been raised and fixed inside half an hour without any agent intervention at all.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It wasn't the actual workings of the tool I was concerned about, it was more do the users understand the guidance and questions in the way you intended. I'm guessing the people who have tried it internally knew what they were on about, unless you got somebody like one of your cleaners to try it out.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

A good point, jelv, but the only problem with human communication is language Grin
I bet that no many non techs test anything, someone will  ....... it up
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
It wasn't the actual workings of the tool I was concerned about, it was more do the users understand the guidance and questions in the way you intended. I'm guessing the people who have tried it internally knew what they were on about, unless you got somebody like one of your cleaners to try it out.

The questions and the corresponding advice boxes have been written so that someone who knows nothing about computers or the internet could understand them. 
If anyone has any feedback, let us know. Smiley
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I understand what Jelv means. I have had a problem (still in-going ) and used the forums. And to be honest, half the time.I just haven't got a clue what people are saying.
It's not the instructions, just the technical language. Even looking up what something means,often just leads to more technospeak.  Plainspeak please would be great.
mitchell20
Grafter

I hope PN have now also updated with O/S list as on the old broadband troubleshooter, Windows 7 was never listed!!