Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launch of Plusnet Assist

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Launch of Plusnet Assist

I have a horrible feeling Plusnet Assist may turn out to be BT Broadband Desktop Help in another guise.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have just had to do a restart on my home computer which is normally left on 24/7 and the following security alert came up relating I believe to Plusnet Assist:

Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?

System is XPSP3 with NIS2011. Should I worry?
EDIT -  sorry, this may not be a problem - I've tried two more restarts to glean more info but it hasn't happened on either occasion.
mindmagic
Rising Star

I'm very pleased with this. It's got my two networked PCs (one W&, one XP) and my printer all talking to each other. All my previous attempts failed.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Lofty
I run Windows 7 64bit and I cannot download PlusnetAssist. My Sony VAIO PC will not allow this for reasons I don't know.
Lofty

I didn't try to install the product because the system requirements include "Processor: Pentium II 450 MHz or higher". My computer is 2.7 GHz but AMD Athlon (64-bit) not Pentium.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Working for me with Intel Celeron 325 which I presume is under the required spec.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI alanf,
You shouldn't have any problems with that.
Jojo Smiley
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Jo Jo. It is now installed.
exporters
Grafter

Today, 'Try PN Assist' dropped into my inbox.  Having trawled through this forum I see it has been aroung since Sep - my fault I guess.  However, PN only chose today to alert. me- not a problem!
With some excitement I downloaded, in my default browser [Firefox 8] & clicked install.  Nothing happened - then I twigged, it's only compatible with IE. 
Why oh why, with a declining market share [22%] has PN limited what seems to be a useful; addition, to IE when most of the planet have moved from away from IE?  The fact that IE might be installed on new m'cs is no indication that those who buy continue to use it.
Conclusion, what hold has MS on PN, who have chosen to exclude other main line browsers?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I believe that the underlying software which is incorporated into it  is IE only
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
I believe that the underlying software which is incorporated into it  is IE only

Does this mean that it will have issues with Firefox on Pent 3 running Win XP Pro?
Chandu.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It will ignore Firefox and use IE
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks Oldjim.  But I don't like using IE.  So, I shall have to skip installing the PN Assist and forgo my opportunity to win the BIG Prize!!!!  Wink
Chandu.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just follow the link to the survey http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,100526
exporters
Grafter

Having only been notified of PN Assist, by an email earlier in the day, I've now looked @ it in IE.  Not my default browser.
Apparently it is not transferrable to other browsers, so why when looking at the neat menu & no doubt helpful in use, I click to open one of the features & it tranfers me back to Firefox [default] to give me the desired informatiom?  Little logic as far as I can see & a pain having two browsers open. 
Initial good will feeling when I was first told about this NEW product by a PN mailthis morning, has ebbed away - sadly.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It uses the IE back end for the majority of tasks but will still open links in your default browser, which will be the cause of the behavior you're seeing. I'll pass that on for you though.