Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

!!IMPORTANT!! BT speed tester changes as of 14/01/2013

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

!!IMPORTANT!! BT speed tester changes as of 14/01/2013

Hi all,
You're probably already aware given Jim's post <a href="http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html">here</a> that there's a new BT speed test.
It's been active and working for a while, however as of Monday 14th this will become the official BT speed test (though the old URL will remain active for a while just in case). Please start using this for all BT speed test results from now on.
Please bear in mind that the first test will only give you a speed test result. It won't tell you your line profile as it's set on the BT side, and unfortunately it won't give results that our faults team can use in the course of their investigations.
If you have a fault open, or want to get the line profile info, you'll need to click the 'Further Diagnostics' button once the initial test has been completed and answer the questions there. You should then get another speed test, following that you should get the information you need (and so should our faults team Smiley )
If you have any questions please let us know, but the main thing:
<b>Please use http://speedtest.btwholesale.com for all BT speed tests from now on, thanks :)</b>
Cheers.
12 REPLIES 12
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: !!IMPORTANT!! BT speed tester changes as of 14/01/2013

Interestingly the first stage will run on an LLU line.  Lips_are_sealed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Post linked has now been modified to remove the old tester references
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Moderator's post by Jim (Oldjim) I have removed one post already - please don't post speed test results saying how well it worked.
It would be best if the only posts are ones where problems are found
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Having just tried the new bt speed test (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/), seems very over generous on the download speed achieved, in my case giving me a download speed above what i can get for my ip profile ( pic attached, speedtest).
More realistic test from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ (pic speedtest2)
Any one else have this issue?
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Matt
[...] You should then get another speed test, following that you should get the information you need (and so should our faults team Smiley )

This might be common knowledge, but for my benefit are you saying that if we conduct such a test the results are stored somewhere that your faults team can subsequently access? Thus, whilst we might copy-and-paste the results here in the forum for info you (faults team) do have access to previous test results to help with diagnosis of any issues, particularly with regards to comparison against historical performance?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

They only have access to the last test not previous ones
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@I.T.Works
I wouldn't say that the old tester was a more realist result, it has always been slightly on the pessimistic side compared to other speedtesters, namely the TBB one, Mybroadbandspeed, Speedtest.net, bbmax, etc.
The new Initial test is actually the same as the beta tester that's been available for some time on the old test address.
I have seen ALL testers including the older BT one give results that have been higher than the IP profile at one time or another. The one thing to remember with all speedtests is that you shouldn't just rely on the one test when trying to assess performance.
If you know what your connection should do in normal circumstances, then running just one test to check things are ok is fine if your usual tester returns a consistent result. If you get an odd result, you should repeat test and compare to other testers to try and assess what is going on.
trishukdish

I went to the new test link as given but after reading the leading page which says
1. Your computer is plugged into the broadband line to be tested. This tester may not work on iPads/Tablets, smartphones or other mobile devices.
2. Your computer is directly connected to your modem/router via an Ethernet Connection (i.e. not via a wireless or powerline adapters).
3. Any wireless adapter in your computer is switched off.
My computer is upstairs and the only way to connect to the single BT phone line that comes into the house (no extensions) is downstairs and I cant carry the computer down there. So does this mean the test is pointless to be carried out?
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Not pointless per se, but if it reports a lower than expected speed you wont know if it's down to an issue with Plusnet/BT or your own wiring.
However, if reported speeds are fine then there's likely nothing to be concerned about.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No, it's not pointless. Firstly it means that "The modem/router is plugged into the broadband line to be tested" - you can't plug the computer direct into the line. Just ignore the red pre-able except make sure no other programs or devices are using the Internet connection - do not re-boot the modem/router.
I assume your modem/router is downstairs and you are connected wirelessly. What it does mean is that if you get a slow speedtest result other checks need to be carried out to establish that it isn't due to the wireless connection. In this case, start your own topic on the Broadband and Routers board, copy and paste the Diagnostic Speedtest result into a post.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

How to get straight to 'Further Diagnostics' url link ? I think BT should be including IP Profile rate from your local exchange and IP Profile rate from your internet service provider to ensure both profile are matched!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Oldjim
Moderator's post by Jim (Oldjim) I have removed one post already - please don't post speed test results saying how well it worked.
It would be best if the only posts are ones where problems are found

As above - this is not the place for general gripes - I have therefore locked this thread