Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sport - available from Nov 5th

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT Sport - available from Nov 5th

Possible explanation - a proportion of the ADSL customers couldn't receive it due to low speeds and they foresaw a load of flack for selling something which was unusable
AndyH
Grafter

But the average ADSL speeds in the UK exceed the requirements for even the BT Sport HD channels.
I think it has something to do with BT's multicast network. I assume that those exchanges that still only have 20CN will not be able to receive any multicast channels. But those on a 21CN exchange and ADSL should be able to receive multicast channels (depending on their ADSL speeds).
I am waiting for a total IPTV solution. Interestingly, Openreach announced a full commercial launch of their fibre multicast today - http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfibr...
Devonian
Grafter

So why did they sell Vision over ADSL?
It still streamed channels and content, some of which was HD.
The only reason I can tthink of is to force people onto the more expensive Fibre.
AndyH
Grafter

I think that's a pretty good assumption.
I've not looked at the spec of the BT Vision+ box, but it sounds old from what people say. I have no idea why BT still supply it to Infinity customers, but apparently they still do.
Bjn
Grafter

just returned from a nice break in the sun to find out Plusnet is finally going public with the announcement for BT Sport which my sons want via their sky box (in bedroom). I'm personally more interested in the youview box and would be happy to trial one as I've been holding off buying a Humax youview box for awhile to see what Plusnet have to offer. I  was going to invest in one before Christmas which I'll now put on hold and continue with our old Humax PVR. Wink
The_10th
Grafter

The BT Sport didn't interest me either but the 'add-on' as it appears on the article about YouView is something that may interest me.
jwt99412

was hoping this would happen (BT sport) as I do not want to switch to BT broadband, mainly because of their policy of charging an arm and a leg for a static IP address. Thanks Plusnet  Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

What happens if you have multiroom? One subscription covers multiple boxes?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

AndyH
No only one BT Sport order covers one box, however, i'm guessing Plusnet will allow you to purchase more BT sport packages for each Sky box.
Bear in mind that BT sport only works on Sky + HD boxes or later.  The Sky HD multi-room box may not have BT sport due to the lack of functionality it has.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jwt99412
was hoping this would happen (BT sport) as I do not want to switch to BT broadband, mainly because of their policy of charging an arm and a leg for a static IP address. Thanks Plusnet  Smiley

In order to get a Static IP address from BT Broadband, you have to be a BT Business user. BT Business users have to pay at least £12 a month for BT Sport.
chirpy
Dabbler

OK, signed up. Not sure what is meant to happen now as no email sent to me from Plusnet and cannot find any mention of the service in the Plusnet account area. Checked the channels on Sky and not viewable as yet. Nothing in the FAQ explains what is meant to happen now.
chirpy
Dabbler

Aha. Found that a ticket had been opened in my account (still no email) and it takes up to 48 hours to activate.
chirpy
Dabbler

Well there you go - got my emails after they updated the ticket and am all enabled and have BT on Sky HD working Smiley
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: NorthEasterner

Bear in mind that BT sport only works on Sky + HD boxes or later.  The Sky HD multi-room box may not have BT sport due to the lack of functionality it has.

Not according to the Plusnet info: http://www.plus.net/tv/btsport/
It's just another channel that requires a Sky viewing card from info above surely? If you need HD then the HD box and extra subscription fee of course but not a requisite to view the basic channel as far as I can see.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The BT sport site says you must have a black sky box.  Which is HD
One subscription covers one box, whether you have multiroom / multiscreen or not as this is the contract BT signed
If you shall wish to have BT sport on more than one box you have to ring up and pay another subscription for the other box.
It is assigned to the viewing card NOT the sky account
That's a massive difference as Sky account is the entire equipment you have - whereas viewing card is just for the assigned box
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up