Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sport - available from Nov 5th

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT Sport - available from Nov 5th

Thank you for the link - the bit which could have interested me is the extra premium channels which BT are offering but  it is only available to fibre customers which I have no chance whatsoever of getting with moving house  Angry
Devonian
Grafter

Are you sure it's pnly fibre customers?
A few years back I had BTVision, and YouView is the same product just rebranded, and I didn't/don't have fibre, you just needed a minimum 3meg connection to stream the add-on channels.
You also don't need fibre for YouView from TalkTalk.
The YouView that talktalk offer is actually very good, the main problem was the box they supplied, the software was very buggy, and it could lag somewhat, although BT use Humax boxes and Talktalk use Huawei, which says it all!
I will defo be subscribing to YouView though.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I look forward to further details of the YouView trial/service and whether I might be able to use my existing (Humax) YouView box with the Plusnet service.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Watched some of the free stuff on BT Sport over the weekend -there was more available thru the Sky dish than on Freeview,which only had the one channel - the only reason I might consider spending my hard earned pennies by adding it thru PN is for the English Rugby Union Premiership thru the winter( -altho' I did watch some World Series baseball on ESPN!)
AndyH
Grafter

BT do sell YouView for ADSL lines too: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/packages (First Option)
BT's pricing is very confusing. TV Essential + Unlimited Broadband is on offer and says £5 for 6 months (not entirely clear if that is per month for the total cost for 6 months). But if you hover over that £5, it says "Free for 6 months".
Anyone able to figure out how much YouView actually costs above the Unlimited Broadband option? It look like £5 but again it is not clear...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That isn't what they say here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv
The full version of YouView seems to be included with BT Entertainment which is different to BT TV and isn't included with ADSL
Note the extra channels only included with Fibre in your original link
AndyH
Grafter

But if you look at my link and the first option, it has a YouView logo.
And then going to http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=31942#unlimited_usage it says Broadband = Up To 16Mb is ADSL.
The other TV options should say Infinity and not Broadband as they don't offer up at 76Mb on ADSL.
confused.com!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I know it has the logo but look at what is included or more exactly what isn't
AndyH
Grafter

I see what you're saying, but it's still YouView - just without the extra channels.
This is the best link (http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/compare-packages) as the one you posted implies you can add some bolt ons to the standard TV package, which you can't.
I think the explanation is the IPTV channels are sent down BT's fibre network (appears as Fibre Multicast on the BT Checker if you can get FTTC/P).
Edit: Ok, this is really really confusing. If you take the standard Bt Entertainment + Broadband, you get a YouView box with the same channels/service as buying it a high street shop. But if you chose any add ons (like BT Sport), they send you a Vision+ box.
£ 5.00 - TV Essential       - Youview
£ 7.00 - TV Essential Extra - BT Vision+
£12.50 - TV Unlimited       - Youview  
£15.00 - TV Unlimited Extra - BT Vision+
Devonian
Grafter

It's the same box, just different tv packages... and BT's clear as mud advertising!
AndyH
Grafter

But it's different.
If you have standard ADSL and a BT Vision+ box you cannot receive any HD channels. But if you have standard ADSL and a Youview box you can receive HD channels via Freeview HD. There is a compromise with BT Infinity and a BT Vision+ box because BT broadcast some HD channels over the fibre multicast.
I would imagine it will be the same with PlusNet. In order to get any channels beyond what is on Freeview, you will need fibre. I might be wrong though.
Devonian
Grafter

I thought BT had retired Vision?
Any way I don't care, I wouldn't go with them if my life depended on it!
(I know PN is BT yadda yadda)
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: AndyH

I think the explanation is the IPTV channels are sent down BT's fibre network (appears as Fibre Multicast on the BT Checker if you can get FTTC/P).
Edit: Ok, this is really really confusing. If you take the standard Bt Entertainment + Broadband, you get a YouView box with the same channels/service as buying it a high street shop. But if you chose any add ons (like BT Sport), they send you a Vision+ box.

My understanding is its because BT Sport via YV does use multicast, but if you've ADSL you get a vision box and BT Sport is via DTT.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Looking at getting sky sports for a elderly friend and she wants sky sports.  She only needs adsl and has to have a vision plus box.
Why not YV?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
AndyH
Grafter

I think because a YouView box cannot receive encrypted Freeview channels as it does not have an integrated CAM/CI module.
Though, that doesn't really explain why BT make it available to Infinity customers only with a YouView box. Surely they could use a copper multicast to distribute it? Or maybe there is not enough capacity due to their PPV/addons?